PDA

View Full Version : I need to order a new dado stack quick. Which one? And a twist!

shane lyall
02-29-2012, 12:47 AM
My old dado set has seen better days. I'm looking at the Oshlun 8 inch among others. My main goal is a flat, smooth bottom with as small "bat ears" as I can get. All this with as little tear out as possible. I know the bat ears help with tear out but the're a killer on half laps. I know thats asking alot but it's the goal I'm looking for.

Now for the twist. I have an old (read US of A made) Craftsman radial arm saw that stays set up for my dados. I love being able to see what I'm doing and never dado on the TS if I can use the RAS.

My old blade will do ok for the few cuts I make on the TS and whatever I buy will stay set up on the RAS. I don't mind the self feed as I find it's easy to control if you pay attention to what you're doing. That being said, + or - hook angle is no big deal to me. A flat, smooth bottom is most importaint as I do alot of half laps and tennons with the RAS. Lumps and large bat ears cost me too much time with a shoulder plane doing clean up.

I've used my old blade set for years so I'm not sure whats out there now. I have a WWII that is great so I'm sure a Forrest dado would work well. I also own Frued and CMT blades that I like. I don't mind spending some money on a new set but would like to stay in the $100 range if I can. That rules out Forrest, Ridge, and a few others. I know they make great products but I can't justify spending $250+ on a blade set. As I said above, I'm about to pull the trigger on the Oshlund set unless someone here knows of something better around that price point.

I have 3 big jobs coming up and need to order ASAP. I can get free shipping from Amazon so shipping isn't a factor. Woodcraft is about to have a 20% of sale as well.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-29-2012, 1:08 AM
Shane, I've owned and used a Freud SD-208 set for several years. It's served me well. It sells at Amazon currently for $84.

Van Huskey
02-29-2012, 1:54 AM
I agree with Ken on the Freud SD-208 BUT I have limited experience in the mid-priced sets, the 208 being the only one of them I have owned. If he doesn't get to the thread before you need to order search Scott Spencer's posts about dado blades, I am sure he has given recommendations for your situation. I know at the time of his big blade review he owned a Dewalt 7670 which is available for just over $100. I don't know what he has now or how he felt about the Dewalt, I just assumed that since he had not replaced it he was happy at the time. Some people talk about the low number of teeth with the Freud but I didn't have an issue.

Cary Falk
02-29-2012, 1:57 AM
This or the Dewalt badged equivlant. I am very happy with mine.
http://www.amazon.com/DELTA-35-7670-8-Inch-Stacked-Dado/dp/B000O7YJAQ
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW7670-8-Inch-24-Tooth-Stacked/dp/B0002ZU6X4

Dan Bowman
02-29-2012, 5:42 AM
I've got both the Oshlun and the Freud and don't see any significant difference in quality of cut. However, cuts made with the Oshlun are all undersize and everything has to be shimmed a surprising amount, whereas cuts with the Freud are pretty close to what they're supposed to be based on the cutteres used.

Rod Sheridan
02-29-2012, 7:30 AM
I have an FS Tools set, fantastic....................Rod.

Van Huskey
02-29-2012, 8:10 AM
I have an FS Tools set, fantastic....................Rod.

Rod, isn't that a premium set in the Forrest, Infinity price range?

david brum
02-29-2012, 10:01 AM
I have an Oshlun 8" set. It is surprisingly sharp and well designed for the money. A few things to keep in mind though: First, the teeth have a very aggressive forward hook. This isn't noticeable on the table saw, but really wants to feed toward you on the RAS. You have to make sure you're in firm control or the saw will take huge bites and stall. Although I haven't tried one, the Freud dado sets use a much less aggressive tooth profile, so it should be better behaved.

Second, my Oshlun set does make clean, flat bottomed cuts. It also leaves a noticeable groove where the outside cutters go very slightly deeper. It's not visible on a dado, but does leave grooves across the face of tenon or lap joint.

My favorite dado for my RAS is the box cutter set. Both Freud and Oshlun make one. They only make a max 3/8 dado, but no bat ears or grooves.

Paul McGaha
02-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Shane,

I have the Freud SD-508 Super Dado. It's a Stacked, 8" Set. About $200. I use mine in a table saw. Beautiful cuts. I dont know how they would do in a RAS.

PHM

Rick Moyer
02-29-2012, 10:29 AM
I'm pretty happy with the Dewalt I have, but it's on the table saw. No idea how it would be on a RAS.

Bill Edwards(2)
02-29-2012, 10:38 AM
No one else used the term "bat ears", so I don't know if anybody addressed your
concerns.
I certainly couldn't, because I have no idea what "bat ears" are????

Alan Schwabacher
02-29-2012, 10:39 AM
The Dewalt/Delta set is excellent for the money, and has a negative rake. It behaves nicely on a RAS.

shane lyall
02-29-2012, 10:45 AM
No one else used the term "bat ears", so I don't know if anybody addressed your
concerns.
I certainly couldn't, because I have no idea what "bat ears" are????

The bat ears are the small groves cut by the top bevel on the outside plates. They make a big improvement on the tear out issue but can be an unsightly problem on tenons and half lap joints. I didn't realize the Oslund was so agressive. I don't mind the little effort to prevent self feeding I use now but don't want an arm wrestling match ever time I use the saw either. I think I'll go with the Frued. Thanks for the help folks.

Van Huskey
02-29-2012, 11:03 AM
As a general rule most sets and almost all high quality sets leave some degree of bat ears, because it helps reduce tearout, the better sets take steps to balance tearout and bat ears but if you look close on Forrest, Amana, Infinity, Freud etc etc you will see them. They can be REALLY pronounced on the cheaper sets.

Graphic representation of bat ears:

Wayne Jolly
02-29-2012, 11:14 AM
It may be a bit pricey, but I think if you contact Forrest they will custom grind a set for you. They will make you a set that will not leave the DEVIL's ears but I think it would cost you probably $225 or maybe a little more.

One more thing. I don't have any idea how this would work, or if this would even be safe to do, but what about just not using the two outer blades for your half-laps? That would leave flat bottoms.

Wayne

I almost forgot, maybe you could contact the other vendors as well and see if they will custom grind a set for you.

carl zietz
02-29-2012, 11:25 AM
I have a set of systimatik stacked dadoes that I have been using for years, good results, one nice thing is that they came with a set of shims to adjust for dado cuts when using Baltic Birch to tight matches

Jerome Hanby
02-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Slightly off topic, but has anyone tried a set of those undersized router bits that are supposed to be sized for plywood? Are they actually a good match or is actual plywood thickness too variable?

Van Huskey
02-29-2012, 11:36 AM
Slightly off topic, but has anyone tried a set of those undersized router bits that are supposed to be sized for plywood? Are they actually a good match or is actual plywood thickness too variable?

Have 'em Whiteside no less and sometimes they fit and sometimes they don't just too much variance in ply today. If you really want PERFECTLY sized grooves and dados get a KM-1 Kerfmaker from Bridge City Tool Works. It seems a little expensive (what BCTW product isn't) but little gem is the best thing since sliced bread and has lots of other uses. I think there are several videos on you tube, a good one is on halfinchshy.com .

Kurt Cady
02-29-2012, 12:12 PM
Another satisfied Oshlun dado set user. Both the 6" and 8"

Paul McGaha
02-29-2012, 1:03 PM

I have a set of them Jerome. I think mine are from CMT. Pretty sure the only one I used was the one for 3/4" plywood. It's been a while but I think it worked fine.

PHM

Jerrimy Snook
02-29-2012, 1:49 PM
I think the Oshlun, Dewalt, Delta, Amana, and Popular dado sets have .007" difference (drop) between the scoring teeth and the rakers on the outside plates. Some sets, like the now defunct Systematic (RIP), had .015" others, some Freuds, have 0. Your sharpening shop will be able to change the drop when the set is reground.

Her-Saf (http://www.hersaf.com/shop/index.php/action/category/id/7/subid/3/) makes replaceable cutters for various size dados typically in .005" to 1/64" increments depending on dado size.

Jerrimy

fred klotz
02-29-2012, 3:41 PM
I use that set (SD508) in my 12" RAS, and it is not at all aggressive although I still pay close attention

Dave Lehnert
02-29-2012, 4:23 PM
Just a thought. I dado on a table saw so a RA saw may be different. I have always used a 6" dado set and never came across a need for a 8". Maybe a 6" would work and one could buy a better 6" blade for the same money as a cheaper 8". Just something to think about.

Chris Lee
02-29-2012, 5:19 PM
I use the Oshlun and have been very happy. I actually like the fact that it is slightly undersize, so i can sneak up on the size dado i want with the shims. They advertise it as undersized, due to variations in plywood. Always get nice tight joints and the price was great. Got to love Amazon prime for things like this!

Ron Jones near Indy
02-29-2012, 5:47 PM
This or the Dewalt badged equivlant. I am very happy with mine.
http://www.amazon.com/DELTA-35-7670-8-Inch-Stacked-Dado/dp/B000O7YJAQ
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW7670-8-Inch-24-Tooth-Stacked/dp/B0002ZU6X4

Well pleased with the DeWalt. Smooth, flat bottoms with clean cuts.

Dave Zellers
02-29-2012, 8:42 PM
I have used them, they are good but not perfect as plywood thickness naturally varies between manufacturers and probably within the same manufacturer on different runs. For most cabinetry they are fine but if you are looking for absolute perfect fits, a shimmed dado would give you that.
I bought 2 3/4" plywood bits at the same time once in the beginning of a job and yes, they were different. I chose the one that fit the plywood I was using at the time.

Cary Falk
03-01-2012, 1:03 AM
Here is a couple of pictures I took some time back of the Delta 7670 that I h in red oak.

Ron Natalie
03-01-2012, 1:22 PM
I've had good experience with the Freud 8" "Super Blade" kit. I've got to use a 8" since I've got a SawStop.
No complaints and I don't find the "bat ears" to be an issue.

Rod Sheridan
03-01-2012, 3:52 PM
Van, yes, I missed the price point in the original post.............Regards, Rod.

Van Huskey
03-01-2012, 5:35 PM
Van, yes, I missed the price point in the original post.............Regards, Rod.

Don't worry, seems a lot of people did. LOL It is so easy to miss a parameter in an OP, I do it ALL the time.

scott spencer
03-01-2012, 6:28 PM
The best set I own is the Dadonator, but I'd have to say that the DW/Delta 7670 is the best bang for the buck going at the moment. Nice set, great case, nice shim stock, on sale from Cripe for $74 plus $12 s/h (http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELTA-35-7670-8-Inch-Stacked-Dado-Set-/330685526625?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfe64b261#ht_2323wt_905).

These aren't my pics, but a reliable source on another forrm who owned both the 7670 and the Oshlun 8" took these pics...the magnification exaggerates things a bit:

Oshlun:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/sawparts/Saw%20Blades/oshlundadocut-1.jpg

7670:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/sawparts/Saw%20Blades/DWdadocut-1.jpg

Mark W Pugh
03-01-2012, 11:17 PM
Just a thought. I dado on a table saw so a RA saw may be different. I have always used a 6" dado set and never came across a need for a 8". Maybe a 6" would work and one could buy a better 6" blade for the same money as a cheaper 8". Just something to think about.

Anyone want to comment on this? I'm a new guy to fine woodworking, but an old guy in reality. So, do we need to buy an 8" for a table saw, or will a quality 6" be a better option?

Jerrimy Snook
03-02-2012, 10:05 AM
Generally larger diameter blades will provide a better quality of cut. 8" dado sets are standard for a 10" machine and are much more common than the 6" sets. The 6" Popular dado I sell is actually more expensive than the 8". I would only recommend a 6" set if the machine couldn't handle the weight of the 8".

scott spencer
03-02-2012, 10:28 AM
Generally larger diameter blades will provide a better quality of cut. 8" dado sets are standard for a 10" machine and are much more common than the 6" sets. The 6" Popular dado I sell is actually more expensive than the 8". I would only recommend a 6" set if the machine couldn't handle the weight of the 8".

Intuitively you'd think the 6" sets would be cheaper, and there certainly are cases where 6" is less, but because 8" sets are more popular and more common, there are better odds of finding a great deal on an 8" set most of the time. YMMV...

Bruce Wrenn
03-02-2012, 9:00 PM
Lowes currently has their CMT (looks like my Freud SD-208, only a different color) marked down to $76.

Bobby O'Neal
03-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Another satisfied Oshlun user. In the table saw, that is.