PDA

View Full Version : Tack Cabinet (older project)

Todd Burch
02-28-2012, 11:30 PM
Jim Becker's post here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?182459-Project-Latest-Tack-Trunk-Commission-25Feb2012) of a tack trunk reminded me I made a tack cabinet a few years ago for a friend's daughter. It was probably a bit over the top for what was needed.

225662 225657

Most of the other's who had a tack cabinet at the stables had cabinets that were essentially 6 pieces of plywood with rolled roofing on the top. The rolled roofing was needed because the barn leaked pretty bad. When I designed this cabinet, I started with the roof and went down. My buddy gave me the specs - how much room for a saddle (2 saddles), a place for cleaning supplies, a couple shelves, and then I added a mirror, a nice drawer, some hooks and a fancy latch. Oh, and a light and fan too. And a hanger rod. And hardwood flooring too. (rope moulding... 25 year asphalt singles...) Project snowball. That sucker was heavy.

Yes, it's an inset drawer, pine front wrapped in walnut. Call me nuts. But, I did use cheapo 3/4 extension powder coated slides.

225661 225660

I mean, every girl has to have a mirror, right? It's only proper.

The latch is a sliding bolt style made out of red oak. The hasp was added to secure her stuff on the days she wasn't riding. Home Depot hardware, distressed with a grinder and by burning BLO on it.

And here is the proud owner at the time, barely in high school. She's now going for her masters this next fall at either NYU or Harvard.

Todd

Art Mulder
02-29-2012, 11:33 AM
Wow Todd, that is a serious piece of going overboard!

Admit it... just how many outhouse jokes did you get? That is a BIG BEAST!

Jim Becker
02-29-2012, 9:01 PM
That's a really wonderful tack locker, Todd! Thanks for resurrecting the photos!

Interestingly, in this area, barns seem to either have built-in tack lockers or space for trunks. Setups like the one you show are somewhat rare.

Todd Burch
02-29-2012, 10:24 PM
Yes, Jim - it was a budget operation. The nicer ones here, too, have built-in lockers.

Jim Becker
03-01-2012, 9:38 PM
Yes, Jim - it was a budget operation. The nicer ones here, too, have built-in lockers.
LOL...nothing in the equestrian world is a "budget" operation...unless it's a big budget. The cost of carrots does add up! :D