PDA

View Full Version : A few spinny things and a board

Doug W Swanson
02-28-2012, 11:25 PM
Here are a few things that I've made recently:

First is a pen and pencil set. They are 24k gold Polaris kits with Desert Ironwood. Both blanks were cut from the same piece of wood. They are finished with CA and micromeshed to 12000. I really love how Desert Ironwood looks when finished. I need to get some more!
225655 225654

Second is a bottle opener. The handle is African Blackwood and it's finished with General Woodturner's finish and buffed.

Third is a door stopper. This is Oak, stained and finished to match our trim. I made this because the one mounted to the baseboard kept getting knocked off. It's mounted to the wall with a screw hidden behind the felt so it's easily removable when I have to paint again.

Last is the board. A Walnut and Maple cutting board to be exact. It's finished with a few coats of Mahoney's Walnut Oil. It's double sided so you can use one side and display the other.

The pen/pencil set, bottle opener (along with an assortment of quality brewski's) and the cutting board will all be donated to my kids' school for their PTA silent auction. I hope they bring some good money for the school!

John Keeton
02-29-2012, 5:42 AM
Doug, looks like you have been busy! Very nice work on all items. The ironwood really has a nice color to it.

Doug W Swanson
03-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Thanks, John! The pictures aren't very good but the Ironwood much better in person!

Any suggestions for better photos? I'm using a decent digital camera but can't seem to get clear close ups with it....

Steve Schlumpf
03-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Nice work on everything Doug! I especially like the depth that your finish brought out with the ironwood! Cool!

Steve Campbell
03-02-2012, 4:13 PM
They all look great to me. I think I kind of like the bottle opener the best.

Steve