PDA

View Full Version : rough and red

Tim Rinehart
02-28-2012, 9:06 PM
During the last meeting of the Southern Piedmont Turners, I spied Tony Pridmore talking to another member and out of the corner of my eye, saw Tony looking at a piece of wood on an iPhone. Well...what I glanced at made me ask what still remains...and luck would have it, there was still some left behind a library.

Tony and I went up there Sunday and as we drove down to the creek bank, saw what looked like one small log...but looks are deceiving. We spent several hours harvesting what remained, and this was essentially a cut off with bark to true up one of pieces...so basically scrap. Haven't had any real time to attack the larger stuff, but I figured this would yield a nice little platter, but actually got a nice rough blank that is nearly 12" diam...so into a dry pile it goes.

Yea, it will lose alot of color over time, but it's a beauty to enjoy while it does, and can be minimized with UV inhibitors...so we'll see how it goes.

This stuff just turns like butter....but also slings a bit of water.

charlie knighton
02-28-2012, 9:45 PM
pretty wood Tim, boxelder likes water

John Keeton
02-28-2012, 9:49 PM
Those look like Ambrosia streaks with the holes. Neat color!

Bernie Weishapl
02-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Great color and wood Tim.

Marty Eargle
02-29-2012, 12:07 AM
Wow, that is certainly unique and beautiful. Looking forward to see the final product...hopefully it'll keep some of the color.

Kathy Marshall
02-29-2012, 1:35 AM
That's some sweet looking wood! It's going to make a heck of a platter!

Nate Davey
02-29-2012, 8:36 AM
That's going to be one nice frisbee Tim. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Mike Cruz
02-29-2012, 10:19 AM
It would be nice if you could salvage that color! Would love to see the final product.

Baxter Smith
02-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Stunning piece of wood and fun to look at!

Jamie Donaldson
02-29-2012, 2:35 PM
Tim, salvage that red color by finish turning the form, then paint in archival red dye like TransTint and a small paint brush. By following the remaining natural color patterns you will have the beauty of the color fixed permanently, shaded with different dilutions of the dye. I wish I had learned this technique many years earlier, because I have several pieces that have no natural red remaining.