PDA

View Full Version : My best friend, gone too soon

alex grams
02-28-2012, 8:38 PM
Had to have our puppy put down this morning. A few weeks ago she started losing energy and her appetite. After a few checkups and seeing some cancer we had her in for surgery this morning, and the mass was about 8" long and had taken over about 80% of her liver. The vet was surprised she was still functioning and in normal behavior.

The wife is torn up, and I am just as well. She just turned 5 years old and we just had our first (a son) in November, and the dog got along great with the kid.

I am sad she is gone, but given how bad off she was, I am glad we let her go sooner rather than later. Surgery and the vet bills were a chunk of change, but the piece of mind knowing that we tried and just didn't let her further deteriorate to an unbearable level was worth it.

We miss her. The house just doesn't feel the same. And going in the back yard and not having her run around the corner is just heartbreaking.

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt220/alexgrams/Sadie060.jpg

Randy Rose
02-28-2012, 8:42 PM
That`s always a tough time, my sympathies.

Van Huskey
02-28-2012, 8:43 PM
I feel for you, we have been there. I am getting broken up just sitting here, I spend "too" much time with my dogs, when I lose them it is brutal.

Jim Matthews
02-28-2012, 8:47 PM
She was adorable.

I'm looking for my son's first dog - this has taken me aback.
It's no sin to love something beautiful, please accept my condolences.

jim
wpt, ma

Neil Brooks
02-28-2012, 8:56 PM
Aw, Alex. I'm so, so sorry.

I've said it countless times: I have family members that I'd rather lose, than to lose a dog :(

Bob Lloyd
02-28-2012, 9:02 PM
Alex

My heartfelt sympathy. I know how hard it is to go through this, I feel for your loss. Hang on to the memories. It has helped me at times like this to read The Rainbow Bridge.

curtis rosche
02-28-2012, 9:07 PM
Alex
read The Rainbow Bridge.

+1

i know how it feels to watch the slowly go and how it is to let them go with dignity before they are worse. you made the right choice and im sure she would thankyou if she could.

Paul McGaha
02-28-2012, 9:09 PM
Sorry for your loss Alex. It is very hard to go through.

PHM

Brian Cosgrove
02-28-2012, 9:15 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. Several years ago, I lost a great dog to cancer at age 7. I know how you feel. I was torn up for a long time. It will get better, though. You will never forget her.

Steve Schlumpf
02-28-2012, 9:25 PM
I am very sorry for your loss. Been there.

Pat Barry
02-28-2012, 9:55 PM
Very sorry to hear about your loss. Dogs are great friends. Easy to see where the term mans best friend came from when you look at the way they take care of you, no questions asked.

Lori Kleinberg
02-28-2012, 10:26 PM
Alex, sorry for your loss. I think all us animal lovers have been through this at least once. It never gets easier, I still cry over my sons last dog. He was barely 2 when he had to be put down because of a rare immune disease.
The pain gets easier but the memories stay ( a good thing).

Jim O'Dell
02-28-2012, 10:41 PM
So sorry to hear this. I know how you feel, we lost our second Irish back in '82 during surgery and she was only 10 months old. Not to mention the pup was my Christmas gift to my wife the year before. There will be others who will steal a piece of your heart. The ones we lose never get replaced, only added to. May the shamrocks fall softly....Jim.

Damon Stathatos
02-28-2012, 11:22 PM
'If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die, I want to go to where they are.'

--Will Rogers

Keith Westfall
02-29-2012, 12:10 AM
'If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die, I want to go to where they are.'

This is so true...

Thoughts and prayers to your family.

Phil Thien
02-29-2012, 9:10 AM
Very sorry for your loss.

Someone once said "Dogs don't live long enough, while people live too long." I can really relate to that sentiment on many a day.

Marty Paulus
02-29-2012, 9:38 AM
After having to put down our 14 year old 'puppy' just before Christmas I understand your pain and loss. Our Vet gave us a copy of this. Hope it helps:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Bill Edwards(2)
02-29-2012, 10:16 AM
I am very sorry!

Losing a 4 leg friend is really tough!

Rick Moyer
02-29-2012, 10:24 AM
She looks like she was a great dog. Take comfort in knowing you did the right thing for her, instead of prolonging her life for selfish reasons.

Belinda Barfield
02-29-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm sorry for your loss.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.
-Sidney Jeanne Seward

Myk Rian
02-29-2012, 11:28 AM
I had to have my "Best Buddy" put to sleep many years ago. I still miss him.
Our Daughter had a great Retriever that was mauled by a neighbor dog. Injuries were just too much to repair.
I made a scroll saw picture of Casey for her.

Joe Angrisani
02-29-2012, 11:42 AM
I've posted it before. I post it now. And unfortunately, I will post it again down the road.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::

So this is where we part, My Friend,
Where you'll run on around the bend.
Gone from sight but not from mind,
New pleasures there you'll surely find.

One long embrace before you leave.
Share one last look before I grieve.
I will go on. I'll find the strength.
Life measures quality, not it's length.

There will be others, that much is true,
But they are they, and they aren't you.
And I, the Master, or so I thought,
Remember well all that you taught.

Your place I'll hold, you will be missed.
The fur I stroked. The nose I kissed.
And as you journey in your rest,
Take with you this....I loved you best.

William Payer
02-29-2012, 12:22 PM
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife Alex. We've recently lost our two "oldsters" 13 and 14.5 years . A little piece of you dies and leaves with them, but their memories comfort us forever.

Ed Barnes
02-29-2012, 1:03 PM
Baxter Black, "Cowboy Poet", has a poem about the loss of his dog. It is definitely worth viewing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkL9PoOABPE
Our best buds are surely more than "Just a Dog". We have unfortunately had to put down two of our German Shorthairs over the years, both lived a long life of 14 years, and they forever hold a special place in our hearts. We have number 3 in our home now. Kricket is now 6 and a true joy and companion. We understand your loss and grieve with you.

Here is our girl as a pup and now.

Blessings,
Ed

Kevin Gregoire
02-29-2012, 2:58 PM
yep, very sorry for your loss. i know exactly what your going through and its very hard to deal with!
pets are exactly like family so its a tremendous amount of pain when we lose one of them.

Bruce Page
02-29-2012, 4:21 PM
Alex, that is a heartbreaker. You & your family have my sympathies.

Craig Matheny
02-29-2012, 7:00 PM
I now the feeling we had to have one put down at the first of last year for cancer.

Steve Barker
03-03-2012, 5:49 PM
I don't know any of you yet, but as a "owner" of a dog who has had his best years, I really feel for you. One thing you know about dogs: you love them and they break your hearts. But to my mind the love they give you by far outweighs the pain they cause.

Steve