PDA

View Full Version : Jointers

Paul Morris
03-22-2005, 6:18 PM
Does anyone have experience with Sunhill machinery. I'm looking at their 6" jointer. From what I can tell, it is a well made machine comparable to the name brands, yet less expensive as they don't have to maintain a dealer network. Any input would be appreciated.

Paul

James Carmichael
03-22-2005, 6:28 PM
I have no direct experience, but I hear mostly good things, the jointer appears an excellent buy.

John Miliunas
03-22-2005, 11:01 PM
Does anyone have experience with Sunhill machinery. I'm looking at their 6" jointer. From what I can tell, it is a well made machine comparable to the name brands, yet less expensive as they don't have to maintain a dealer network. Any input would be appreciated.

Paul
Paul, I PM'd you. :) :cool:

Ernie Hobbs
03-22-2005, 11:16 PM
I don't have any experience with Sunhill but have been looking at them lately. They seem to be pretty good. If you're on the East coast, Steve Wall Lumber is a distributor- maybe you can save some money on shipping.

lou sansone
03-23-2005, 6:41 AM
no experience with them, but would recommend that you consider at least an 8" unit. the price is not that much different and you will find it quite usefull in the long run
lou

Justin Case
03-23-2005, 12:26 PM
Paul,

I am new here been browsing awhile...never posted. I have worked with Sunhill quite a bit. They are wonderful to deal with, very helpful sales people. They took care of me and any questions I had. I wish I found them before I bought some of my other stuff. I am thinking of getting the new spiral head for the jointer. I would love to buy some of that new Oliver stuff they have, it looks fantastic. Good luck with your purchase!:)

Bob Hovde
03-23-2005, 12:30 PM
Paul,

I am new here been browsing awhile...never posted. I have worked with Sunhill quite a bit. They are wonderful to deal with, very helpful sales people. They took care of me and any questions I had. I wish I found them before I bought some of my other stuff. I am thinking of getting the new spiral head for the jointer. I would love to buy some of that new Oliver stuff they have, it looks fantastic. Good luck with your purchase!:)

Welcome, Justin,

Where do you live? Is Sunhill just on the East Coast?

Bob

Jeff Sudmeier
03-23-2005, 1:12 PM
Justin, Welcome to the creek! You have joined a great woodworking forum.

As soon as you can, start a post in the general forum introducing yourself and a little about what you do.

Ernie Hobbs
03-23-2005, 8:33 PM
Bob:

Sunhill is based in Seattle. I just mentioned Steve Wall because they are the east coast distributor. The reason that was a big deal to me was when I was looking at jointers a while ago, the cost to ship something from Seattle to Alabama was too high for me. However, picking up something in NC is no big deal. Fortunately, my Dad offered me a free Shopsmith jointer (stealth gloat) with the power stand to hold me off until I can justify spending money for a "real" jointer.

Sunhill imports equipment from Taiwan. I think their stuff is on par with Grizzly. Since I don't have any Grizzly or Sunhill machinery in my shop, I can't speak from first-hand knowledge. However, when I get around to upgrading my table saw and jointer, I will probably look at both companies, as well as others like Jet, Delta, PM, etc.

John Miliunas
03-23-2005, 9:11 PM
However, when I get around to upgrading my table saw and jointer, I will probably look at both companies, as well as others like Jet, Delta, PM, etc.
Hey Ernie, when you do get that far, don't overlook Wilke Machinery! I just recently made the mistake of not looking there for something and boy, was I sorry!:o Nice equipment and their Customer Service is a class act!:) :cool:

scott spencer
03-23-2005, 9:40 PM
Sunhill's 6" jointer is made by Gee Tec. Same place where the Jet, Grizzly, Wootek, Bridgewood and others are made. Nice machine. S/H might play a factor depending on where you are.