PDA

View Full Version : Best wood to use for a 32 inch fixed shelf

Steve Lane
02-28-2012, 8:18 PM
First post so please be kind:). I've built an entertainment center and am currently researching what wood to use for a fixed shelf that will hold some lighter weight stereo equipment (DVD player, cable box etc). It will be 32 inches long with a 24 inch depth. Would like to use something sturdier than ply and have read about max distance for sag but nothing over 10 inches deep. Does anyone have any suggestions for a hardwood to use to avoid sag over that distance (without building a torsion box or routing the wood to put metal supports).

Thanks.

Todd Burch
02-28-2012, 8:30 PM
Hi Steve. Welcome!

Would your design allow a front edging on the front (and possibly back) of the shelf? Think of a short legged "L".

Todd

Jim Matthews
02-28-2012, 8:43 PM
This is a realistic project - nothing to scoff at, in my book.

I would adapt Todd's design with a second hardwood strip underneath, at the back to act as a cleat.
So long as you're not putting up old "arn" tube amps or huge loudspeakers, 3/4" plywood is a good choice.

If you're insistant on using hardwood, I like cherry. It's easy on tools, finishes well and shouldn't cost a fortune.

jim
wpt, ma

Van Huskey
02-28-2012, 8:44 PM
As Tom said even a very short verticle member will make a LOT of difference.

Steve Lane
02-28-2012, 9:04 PM
Thanks Todd. I was thinking of that with a possible cleat in the back as well. And if you all think 3/4 ply would be fine, I will use that as well. Will post a pic when it's finished. Thanks for your input.

Todd Burch
02-28-2012, 10:56 PM
Yep, 3/4" ply is more than adequate with the solid wood edgings. Don't forget to post pics!

Bobby O'Neal
02-29-2012, 7:12 AM
What is the rest of the entertainment center constructed of?