PDA

View Full Version : don't know wood

Steve bellinger
02-28-2012, 7:03 PM
Well a friend gave me this wood the other day, looks almost like walnut, but i'm sure it's not. One it stinks when i turn it, and it's real stringy. Sorry about the crappy pics, but didn't want to get out the tent.Still needs a few more coats of lacquar, wax and buff, but will get there.the piece is about 6 1/2 x 6 3/4 to top of the finial. Thanks as always and all c&c welcome.
Steve225630225629225628

Bill Wyko
02-28-2012, 7:07 PM
Possibly Morado, it's also known as Bolivian rosewood. Smells like poop.

Steve bellinger
02-28-2012, 7:14 PM
Possibly Morado, it's also known as Bolivian rosewood. Smells like poop.That's as good a guess as i've had so far, as it does smell like (poop)

John Keeton
02-28-2012, 7:15 PM
No help on the wood, but the piece is very nice! What wood did you use for the finial. Depending on which pic you are viewing, the finial appears as a different tone than the lid portion. For my tastes, I probably would have preferred a dark finial on a light base, but what you have done works very well.

Steve bellinger
02-28-2012, 7:31 PM
No help on the wood, but the piece is very nice! What wood did you use for the finial. Depending on which pic you are viewing, the finial appears as a different tone than the lid portion. For my tastes, I probably would have preferred a dark finial on a light base, but what you have done works very well.John that's just a old piece of holly i had sitting around. It does have some staining in it, but thought it looked kind of cool. This will be going to my friends brother, as that's where the tree came from. Chuck asked me to make him a little trinket, and this is it.

Baxter Smith
02-28-2012, 8:53 PM
No clue about the wood but it is pretty. I am sure he will appreciate such a nice "trinket"!

Jim Burr
02-28-2012, 9:16 PM
See you're back to all your old tricks...just a little trinket...oh, it's nothing...uh huh. Nice work dude!!

Roger Chandler
02-28-2012, 10:09 PM
Another fine turning Steve............pretty wood, great finish and a very nice form. Good stuff!

Bernie Weishapl
02-28-2012, 10:12 PM
Really a fine looking piece Steve.

robert baccus
02-28-2012, 10:21 PM
Yeeeeeah stinky wood!!---old forester

steven carter
02-29-2012, 11:00 AM
well it may have smelled like poop, but it came out looking as sweet as a rose! I kind of like the light finial, and the shape and finish are very nice.

Melissa Messick
02-29-2012, 5:55 PM
Wonderful looking little "Trinket" :p

Steve bellinger
02-29-2012, 7:28 PM
Well thanks all, and yes that's what he asked for a (trinket):) As i've known Chuck for close to 30 years i'm sure no matter what i turned him he would of liked.

David DeCristoforo
02-29-2012, 7:40 PM
Looks great from here. I especially like the sweet transition between form and lid.

Bill Wyko
02-29-2012, 8:01 PM
What ever it is,it turned out beautiful. Nice job.

Nathan Hawkes
02-29-2012, 8:28 PM
That's as good a guess as i've had so far, as it does smell like (poop)

Steve, I wouldn't discount the walnut guess just yet. I've turned walnut that smelled not unlike what you are describing, and was as stringy as you describe as well. I cut the particular walnut down in my own experience, so I can attest to the authenticity of my diaper smelling piece as being Black Walnut. Personally, I think all walnut stinks a bit, but some of it--that which has sat around for a while or has been really wet, smells just like what you might curse at for being on the bottom of your shoe.