PDA

View Full Version : I love a good fastener

Zach England
02-28-2012, 5:39 PM
Can I say that?

Jim Koepke
02-28-2012, 5:47 PM
I guess so as long as you are talking about a vise and not a vice.

jtk

Bob Lloyd
02-28-2012, 5:49 PM
You did and I had to look to see what you were talking about!

Dave Wisman
02-28-2012, 6:31 PM
Ok, I was chuckling to myself until I read Jim's response. Then I nearly choked on my drink. Thanks guys for keeping things interesting.

Leigh Betsch
02-28-2012, 7:03 PM
Figure I better post quick before this thread gets locked.
Is this a store bought screw or did you do it yourself?

Zach England
02-28-2012, 7:05 PM
This one is from Lake Erie Tool Works. As much as I'd love to take credit for it I cannot.

Trevor Walsh
02-28-2012, 7:07 PM
Well put Jim. How was the screw formed, large box that you made or via router?

Zach England
02-28-2012, 9:25 PM
It was formed via credit card.

Well put Jim. How was the screw formed, large box that you made or via router?

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
02-28-2012, 9:26 PM
This one is from Lake Erie Tool Works. As much as I'd love to take credit for it I cannot.

Nice! I've been eyeing one of those to wrap up my bench build - I should really crack open the wallet and order one so it's here before I actually need it Although at the rate I'm going, I could probably wait until next year.

James Taglienti
02-28-2012, 10:17 PM
Heheh good one

Zach England
02-28-2012, 11:00 PM
So I see my subject got changed..If only the mods at sawmill creek heard how I talk in real life...

Steve Friedman
02-28-2012, 11:43 PM
So I see my subject got changed..If only the mods at sawmill creek heard how I talk in real life...
Thanks for confirming that. I thought I was going crazy.

Steve

Trevor Walsh
02-29-2012, 7:09 AM
But how do you get the credit card sharp enough to cut wood? The edge retention must be none existent.

John Coloccia
02-29-2012, 7:12 AM

Sounds like you got fastenered.

:D

Keith Outten
02-29-2012, 7:21 AM
Zach,

The Creek is rated "G", we have a lot of children who are Members hence the edit.

I served in the Navy and have spent most of my life working on Construction Projects, there isn't much in the way of rustic language that I haven't heard :)

BTW, I purchased a Beale Wood Threader about 1990 and it does a great job making wooden threads. Mine is the first model so it isn't as polished a jig as the one they sell now but it has made a truckload of 3/4" black walnut nuts and bolts. Years ago I got some walnut from Colonial Williamsburg, when they cut the tree down and counted the rings it was estimated to have been planted in 1776. The tree was close to the Capital building. The lumber mill that cut the tree only allowed their best customers to have a few boards from the tree so I have been using mine to make wooden fasteners for friends and family. The next batch I make I will be able to laser engrave the bolt heads with the appropriate markings.

Matthew N. Masail
02-29-2012, 7:29 AM

LOL until I read this I was kind of wondering what I was missing ...

David Posey
02-29-2012, 8:42 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centurion_card

I think this card would hold up better than most.

JohnT Fitzgerald
02-29-2012, 8:46 AM
"Rustic language"....ha! I like that!

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
04-05-2012, 8:11 PM
Just got my screw from Lake Erie today . . . ended up ordering mine a couple days after this post first went up (on the first of March) and it shipped on the 31st.

I had already drilled the hole in the leg for it; and I guess I know how big numbers of inches are . . . but darn it, if my first response on opening the package wasn't "heck, this thing is huge!" It somehow just feels much more massive looking in person than I would expect, even though it's precisely the size I knew it would be.

I guess there's not really any more excuses for not finishing the bench now.

How are you liking yours so far, Zach? Have you put it to use yet? Did you recess the nut?

I just realized I may need to cut a little relief in the back leg of my bench, or use a *really* chop - with the shorter depth of my bench and the thick legs, I don't think it'll quite slide all the way back. Either that or chop a bit off the screw. I know if I do that two weeks later I'll find some reason I shouldn't have.

Zach England
04-06-2012, 7:23 AM
No, I have not done anything with mine. Last night was the first time I had turned the lights in my shop on for about three weeks, and that was to finish some drawer fronts for my parents' bathroom.

Joshua Byrd
04-06-2012, 5:54 PM
I hope nobody walks up on me while I'm looking at this thread. At first glance, that fastener appears to be quite a bit more than 'G' rated. :p