PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, decisions...

James Granger
02-28-2012, 4:11 PM
This is a follow up to an earlier post asking for advice on what additional items to purchase to augment my workshop.

OK, so I narrowed down my options to the following five groups of stuff. Each totals around $1,800 and I’d like to know which group everyone would pick if they were in my shoes:

Group #1
Dowelmax
Festool CT 26 E HEPA Dust Collector
Rotex RO125 FEQ 5” Sander
MFT/3 Multifunction Table (or Festool TS 55 EQ Plunge Saw)

Group #2
Dowelmax
Norseman 21 Piece Drill Bit Set
Rockler 3 Row Ball Bearing Stand
Grizzly G0656PX 8” Spiralhead Cutter Jointer

Group #3
Dowelmax
Grizzly G0656P 8” Jointer
Rockler 6” “Sure-Foot” F-Style Clamp (x10)
Rockler 12” “Sure-Foot” F-Style Clamp (x10)
Jet 24” Parallel Clamps (x4)

Group #4
Dowelmax
MLCS Mitered Door/Drawer Frame Kit
MLCS 12 Degree Face & Quarter Round Raised Panel Bit
MLCS Architecture Molding Bit
MLCS Plywood Straight Bit Set
Bessey Vario Angle Strap Clamp
Rockler 6” “Sure-Foot” F-Style Clamp (x10)
Rockler 12” “Sure-Foot” F-Style Clamp (x10)
Jet 24” Parallel Clamps (x6)
Jet 40” Parallel Clamps (x6)
Jet 50” Parallel Clamps (x6)

Group #5
Dowelmax
Festool TS 55 EQ Plunge Saw
Festool CT 26 E HEPA Dust Collector
MLCS Mitered Door/Drawer Frame Kit
MLCS 12 Degree Face & Quarter Round Raised Panel Bit
MLCS Architecture Molding Bit
MLCS Plywood Straight Bit Set
Bessey Vario Angle Strap Clamp
Harbor Freight 6” Bar Clamp (x10)
Harbor Freight 12” Bar Clamp (x10)
Harbor Freight 24” Bar Clamp (x10)

Van Huskey
02-28-2012, 4:17 PM
Hmmm I think you want a Dowelmax. Very varied list and I would have to know more about your shoes. Looking over the lists the first thing that hits me is do you have a jointer? If not then #2 or #3 is a no brainer. If not let us know more about what/how you build.

BTW Bill Huber did a review on a comparison to the Jess em doweling jig and it is cheaper, he sold his Dowelmax:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?140404-Jessem-s-new-dowel-jig-WOW!!!!&highlight=dowel

Just food for thought

Bob Lloyd
02-28-2012, 5:48 PM
I do not have a specific opinion but I am sure that people would chime in if they knew what you already had and what you wanted to build. In your earlier post you wrote "I already have a table saw, band saw, lathe, drill press, planer, 2 routers, a small variety of clamps, a spindle sander, belt/disc sander, jigsaw, dust collector, small air compressor/brad nailer, among a few other odds and ends." I am no expert but I have figured that a table saw, jointer and planer would be a must have. You mentioned no jointer so based on that it would be 2 or 3. Good luck.

James Granger
02-28-2012, 6:14 PM
Here is the link to my previous thread, in case it helps:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?182231-What-to-do-what-to-do

Don Jarvie
02-28-2012, 10:30 PM
Here's a curve ball. Get the jointer and some of the clamps and then put the rest in the tool fund. Once you start working on various projects you have some money left to buy something you may need. Ex, you need a few router bits for a cabinet or a shelf jig, you have the cash to get them.

I'd still pick up a good set of chisels and a #4 plane and backsaw. The power tools are great but sometimes you need a chisel or need to make a small cut and a hand saw is better then the tablesaw.

Just my 2 cents. good luck

Jeff Duncan
02-29-2012, 1:34 PM
I'm sorry but I just can't get through all those items.....way too much info there:confused:

I will however offer the same advice I feel would help people a lot more if they followed it.....buy what you need, as you need it. I've never really subscribed to buying things b/c you may need them someday, or b/c someone else thinks it's a must have......with the exception of getting an amazing deal on it;) Leave the money you've set aside in an account specifically for woodworking. When you find you need a certain tool, cutter, piece of wood, veneer, etc.....buy it!

that's the best advice I can give....good luck,
JeffD

Carl Beckett
02-29-2012, 2:21 PM
I will chime in with buying as a project demands it.

But some basics to consider might include:

One small block plane. One Jack plane. A set of chisels. (I just dont see how you can do any project without these.....).

I would probably add the jointer right up front.

And a random orbit sander.

Then decide what I wanted to build. Get wood (dont forget to budget for wood!!). Then add tools as needed to complete that particular project.

Jay Jolliffe
02-29-2012, 3:59 PM
Plan your project & then get the tools you need. Then keep adding as you go. I've bought tools because being a person that has to have the next cool tool & then never use it, it adds up. I have a bunch of stuff I'd like to sell seeing that I didn't use as I thought I would, but to busy/lazy to post it. Buy as you need .

Dave Lehnert
02-29-2012, 4:09 PM
Just FYI- I received an e-mail today from Woodcraft that Festool prices go up tomorrow March 1st. 3% to 5%

Rich Engelhardt
03-01-2012, 8:36 AM
Group #1 doesn't make a lot of sense (IMHO).

The MFT/3 really comes into it's own when it's used with the track system - for the saws and/or the routers.

Jerome Hanby
03-01-2012, 8:39 AM
Is the Rotex sander that much ($$$) better than the less expensive ETS models?

John Coloccia
03-01-2012, 8:40 AM
If you don't have a jointer, this is a no brainer. Buy a jointer, then put the rest away and pick up tools as you need them. The only thing worse than not having the right tool for the job is having a shop cluttered with the wrong tools for the job.

Van Huskey
03-01-2012, 9:41 AM

Apples and oranges, the Rotex is a dual mode sander, the ETS is a ROS only, the Rotex is ginificantly more powerful as well.

http://www.festoolusa.com/media/pdf/understanding%20the%20two%20modes%20of%20the%20rot ex%20dual%20mode%20sander.pdf

I am not a fan of the "die grinder" type sanders but they have their uses.

Myk Rian
03-01-2012, 10:19 AM
Buy what you need, as you need it.

Kirk Poore
03-01-2012, 1:49 PM
Buy what you need, as you need it.

And keep an eye on Craigslist and other local ads for hand tools & small items like the clamps and router bits. You'll save enough money that you can afford to buy a lot of that kind of stuff before you need it.

Kirk

Greg Portland
03-01-2012, 1:49 PM
The ETS sanders are superior for fine sanding (lighter, better balance, smaller oscillations). The Rotex are more powerful and can also operate in a rotary mode (for polishing or really hogging off wood). I have both but use the ETS 150/3 for the majority of my sanding.

Chris Tsutsui
03-01-2012, 2:31 PM
GIVEN: table saw, band saw, lathe, drill press, planer, 2 routers, a small variety of clamps, a spindle sander, belt/disc sander, jigsaw, dust collector, small air compressor/brad nailer.

1. Get a Jointer. My first jointer was a Delta deluxe 6" jointer with mobil base for $50 off craigslist. If you can't find a used one, then go for a grizzly 8".

2. Use the rest of your money on clamps. Get parallel jet clamps or bessey/jorg equivalent parallel clamps. Even craftsman has clamps with interchangeable parts.

3. Buy a $50 porter cable random orbit sander if you don't already have one and skip the rotex. I have the PC sander, a rotex, and an ETS 125 and I think that my PC random orbit palm sander does a great job. Of course I can't even tell the difference if I sanded something with a $500 rotex vs a $50 DA sander... Hook up your shop vac to the PC sander and there you go. :)

4. Add a pocket screw jig while you're at it.

5. Buy router bits when you need them. The only reason I would buy a router bit without using it the same day would be if it was on clearance or from a super sale... Clamps are sort of the same way... If they are not on sale, then why stock up on them if you are not going to use them...

6. The Festool Plunge Saw is awsome but if you already have a table saw then you are not going to get a whole lot of added utility.

7. The Bessey vario strap clamp is nice. Much better to use than jerry rigging a ratcheting tie down.

Alan Lightstone
03-01-2012, 2:55 PM
The ETS sanders are superior for fine sanding (lighter, better balance, smaller oscillations). The Rotex are more powerful and can also operate in a rotary mode (for polishing or really hogging off wood). I have both but use the ETS 150/3 for the majority of my sanding.
+1. Rarely use the Rotex, often use the ETS 150/3.

Oh, and get a jointer. Seriously. That should be #1 on your list. Game, set, and match.