PDA

View Full Version : Fascia or rake boards - no paint replacements?

Greg Portland
02-28-2012, 1:12 PM
I'm not a roofer so forgive the terminology. I've got exposed (but painted) boards on the ends of my roof (I think these are called rake or fascia boards?). These are in desperate need of painting. My roof has a steep pitch so getting to everything is going to be difficult ($$$). Is there a product that I can install that will eliminate the need for painting? I was thinking about finished aluminum wrapping or PVC products but the roofer I talked to had never heard of such a thing (maybe I wasn't using the right terminology). The wood appears structural so we're talking about wrapping, not replacing. Any tips or help would be appreciated!

greg

Von Bickley
02-28-2012, 3:50 PM
Greg,
My house is vinyl siding with the fascia boards covered with white aluminum. The only thing I have to paint on my house is the columns.

Walter Plummer
02-28-2012, 6:42 PM
Look for siding contractors. They wrap existing trim with aluminum all the time. They bring a portable brake to your house and bend it to fit. Probably still some $$ but then it's finished and you don't have to do it again in 5 years.

Bob Lloyd
02-28-2012, 7:08 PM
If you are talking about a gable roof, then you are probably talking about the rake. I doubt very much that they are structural. They can easily be replaced with a PVC product; Azek, Koma or similar. As Walter said, they can easily be wrapped with aluminum by someone with a brake, they will last a lot longer than 5 years though. There are products available pre-bent in 10' lengths, it depends on your situation whether they would work or not. If there is an overhang on the gable end then you would have to deal with the rake soffit as well. What do you have for siding, corner boards, fascia and soffit on the rest of the house? Can you post a picture?

Greg Portland
02-29-2012, 3:04 PM
My roof is nearly identical to what you see in Von's picture. The edge & overhang of the roof is painted wood.

Von, it looks like they installed aluminum as a soffit as well? Was the work done by a roofer or a siding contractor?