PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted

chester mccarter
02-28-2012, 11:13 AM
I am considering the purchase of either a Sorby Sovereign system or the oneway Mastercraft system, these are the ones where the chisels/tools are interchangable on the handle. Has anyone used either of these and if so are they pretty usable or does changing tips cause problems. thanks for the info.

chester

Kyle Iwamoto
02-28-2012, 4:27 PM
No one?

OK I'll chime in.... I don't own either system, and I would imagine, when I go from my bowl gouge, to [gasp] scraper, and maybe even the dreaded skew, taking the time to remove the tool from the handle and replacing it with the tool you want to use would get extremely old really quick. Oh, that's IF you can find the allen wrench or whatever tool you need to get the tool out of the handle in the first place.
For me, I swap tools often. I use at least 2 different gouges, a 5/8" and 1/2" to rough. Get a fresh sharp gouge to finish, then the bottom gets the scraper. Need a skew to make the tenon. Too much tool swapping for me....

Just my $0.02.

Jon McElwain
02-28-2012, 6:51 PM
I have several of the Oneway tool handles, but i do not use the Mastercut tools. I have Thompson tools as well as some others that I put in the Oneway tool handles. I like the Oneway handles quite well, they are a little larger diameter than some of the other after market tools on the market, and they are heavy. I really like a heavy tool handle to dampen vibrations. As far as the changing tools in one handle, I think that would get old really quickly. I keep several t-handle Allen wrenches (of the sames size) close by the lathe for such changes (as well as for tightening the keeper nuts on chucks etc.).

There are some really nice tool handles out there like the Glaser that make tool handle changes really easy, but I really just prefer to have a handle for each tool and not change them. The majority of tool handles are interchangeable with other brands of tools. I have Bosch and Oneway tool handles, but I put Thompson, Henry Taylor, and other tool brands in those handles. It's a big mix and match for me.

Bill Wyko
02-28-2012, 6:52 PM
If you want quick change and top quality, hold out for the Synergy line from Glaser, about another 30 days. You can change a tool out faster than reaching out and swaping tools with their own handles. Plus they are extremely high quality to boot.

Josh Bowman
02-28-2012, 7:44 PM
I've got the Sorby Sovereign system and really like it. The selection of tools for it seem kind of limited, however many other brands like some Thomson's will fit the handle. The handle is big and heavy and has room for lead if you wish. I just bought one of Thomson's big handles at the TAW for his 5/8" gouge, even though I like the feel of the Thompson, it's not as heavy as the Sovereign's. Hope that helps some.

Harvey M. Taylor
02-28-2012, 8:28 PM
I bit the bullet and bought the Serious camlock handle.A snap to change, and sharpening off the handle, especially the long ones, like the Ellsworth is a dream. I can change tools faster than you can find the allen wrench. Check the latest PSI catalog. they have a cam=lock handle also. Dont have one, just saw it yesterday. Max