PDA

View Full Version : Identifying if I have too much vibration on my drill press

Brian Marks
02-28-2012, 10:22 AM
After a long search for a drill press, I was able to find a "new" Rockwell 15-655, circa 1978, that had never been used. It was sitting behind some other boxes in a warehouse and only recently discovered by the factory owner, who then sold to me. After getting this behemoth home and polishing off the minor rust on the table and column, I checked out the mechanicals in detail. The good news: runout is virtually nonexistent and the quill is smooth as silk. The only thing that concerns me is some vibration I can feel while it is running. As this is my first drill press, I can't tell if it's a normal amount of vibration or if the 30+ years of sitting idle has had an effect. So, a few questions:

How much vibration is normal for a variable speed (Reaves) system? Is there an objective way to conclude whether it falls within acceptable bounds? For example, I've heard that you shouldn't be able to see any ripples in a glass of water on the table, or that a nickel should be able to stand straight up as you turn it on and off. My press would not pass these tests, but I wouldn't say it vibrates to the point that stuff shakes off the table, either.
Would the long inactivity have caused the v-belt to "set" in one position? The belt seems to be of high quality, and this press is clearly a time-tested design, so I'm thinking the belt may "break-in" over time. Is this a good assumption or should I look to replace it? I assume I will have to go with the same design (if not the exact part number) because I don't think link belts will work on a variable speed system, right?
When I run the motor without the belt attached, there is almost no vibration, so I think the issue is with the pulleys and/or belt. Lubrication doesn't seem to be an issue, though I added a couple of drops as the manual recommends.
How important is the belt tension? I've tried to make sure I'm set up as the manual suggests (15.125" between motor and spindle pulleys) but I get the feeling my belt is either too tight or too loose. When running, the belt tends to "flop" a little as opposed to being taut.
There are set screws built in to dampen the pulleys. It appears that the motor pulley spins freely with no resistance but the spindle pulley has a bit of friction, which I think was set at the factory. Should I try loosening the screw to allow it to spin freely?
The bottom line is it drills nice holes and should last me a lifetime -- but I just want to see if there is something not quite right. As I said, it's never been used before, and I am hoping it wasn't due to some defect.

Thanks!

Brian Kent
02-28-2012, 10:44 AM
I think it would be a fair place to start, that an unused 44 year old belt could develop some shape memory.

I have no idea about a link belt on a reeves drive.

david brum
02-28-2012, 10:48 AM
It would be hard to imagine how the belt wouldn't need to be replaced after 30 years of molding itself around the pullies. I'll bet if you get a new belt, it will purr. I have an '80s vintage drill press which sat unused for most of 20 years. I was ready to discard it until I put on new belts.

Gary Radice
02-28-2012, 10:54 AM
I agree that putting a new belt on is the place to start. Gates belts are a good brand. Tension it just enough to prevent slipping rather than setting it by a measured distance.
If it works fine, just use and enjoy.

With a machine that age it might need new spindle bearings since the lubricants tend to harden over time. Generally 20-30 years is the lifetime of "lubricated for life" bearings. YMMV, but bearings are relatively cheap and replacing them is good insurance.

Myk Rian
02-28-2012, 11:50 AM
Get a new belt, but not a link belt.

Neil Brooks
02-28-2012, 12:02 PM
Isn't a "poly v-belt" sort of the top-of-the-line, in applications like this, right now ?

Brian Marks
02-28-2012, 12:54 PM
Thanks guys...looks like I will start with a new belt.

pat warner
02-28-2012, 1:05 PM
Most vibration, on an unused machine, is in the drive train.
Your speed changer is about as bad as it gets in speed changers, adding vibration to the belt deformity, gravity pulling on the belt and so on.
If vibration free ops is your destination get a VFD (http://patwarner.com/images/quill-stop.jpg) and a new belt.

Brian Marks
02-28-2012, 3:48 PM
I was thinking about a VFD but can one be retrofitted to a single phase machine? (Or would I replace the entire motor?) The VFDs I've seen in action on youtube are pretty sweet.

Charles Lent
02-29-2012, 9:04 AM
You would need to replace the motor with a 3 phase motor to use a VFD. The single phase motor can't be used with a VFD. The VFD converts your single phase power into 3 phase to drive the motor. Speed changes on a 3 phase motor are accomplished by varying the frequency of the 3 phase power to the motor, all done inside the VFD. You won't need the Reeves drive anymore if you make the conversion. It may be possible to remove it, or if not, just leave it set on one position and then vary the drill press speed with the VFD. If it was my drill press I would just use it the way it is, at least until the Reeves drive developed problems.

Charley

Van Huskey
02-29-2012, 9:12 AM
Isn't a "poly v-belt" sort of the top-of-the-line, in applications like this, right now ?

Not for a Reeves drive. You may be thinking of the Delta 18-900L which uses a small poly V but it is in a standard step pully drive.

Jim Matthews
02-29-2012, 9:43 AM
I have to wonder if there are any mounting, or alignment problems that may be easy to address with the belt off?

That much mass, perched atop a pole may not be in factory spec, after lengthy "storage".
These things are tough, but drop a straightedge to see if there's sag.

It may be that the base is loose, too.