PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking / Woodturning Shows in Atlanta and Charlotte

Tim Boger
02-28-2012, 9:47 AM
I've been told that the show coming up in Atlanta is turning oriented as compared to the one in Charlotte.

Anyone got any feedback from previous events at either location.

Atlanta (http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/styled/styled-32/index.html)

Charlotte (http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/styled/styled-34/index.html)

Tim

Tim Rinehart
02-28-2012, 11:08 AM
I went to last year show in CLT and fair amount of turner content, several booths, but not the kind of focus like a symposium. You will normally find several tool and supply vendors, and vendors selling wood. We had a couple of our clubs there doing demos of general turning, and also hat making.

Jim Underwood
02-28-2012, 12:46 PM
I got a postcard in the mail for the Atlanta Woodworking Show. It's headline reads:

THE BIG TEN
ATLANTA, GA
TURNING
EXTRAVAGANZA

Unfortunately when I go to the website, I can't figure out what in the heck they're talking about....

Tim Boger
02-28-2012, 1:55 PM
I got a postcard in the mail for the Atlanta Woodworking Show. It's headline reads:

THE BIG TEN
ATLANTA, GA

EXTRAVAGANZA

Unfortunately when I go to the website, I can't figure out what in the heck they're talking about....

Your exactly right Jim ..... for me it's a 125 mile / 2 hour difference when choosing between the two shows and I really want to be sure and invest my time wisely. Thanks for the feedback.
Tim

Steve Vaughan
02-28-2012, 2:27 PM
Musical Instruments seems to be the emphasis at the Fredricksburg, VA show. I'd love to go to that one, but it's a lot of expensive gas up the road. Other than seeing lots of stuff, are these things really worth going too? Do you really get decent deals?

Tim Boger
02-28-2012, 4:09 PM
Musical Instruments seems to be the emphasis at the Fredricksburg, VA show. I'd love to go to that one, but it's a lot of expensive gas up the road. Other than seeing lots of stuff, are these things really worth going too? Do you really get decent deals?

Hey Steve .... from what I've heard here the deals are not to exciting.

I had gone to one in CA 7-8 years ago and bought a Jet Bandsaw demo unit for $400.00 so I suppose it just depends on the venders and the timing. I had commited to buy it on the first day and came back to get it after they shut down on the last day.

I figure every year that passes I have gotten better at this hobby and different tools newly available will become useful to me .... so, I just want to see what's available.

Steve Vaughan
02-28-2012, 4:29 PM
Thanks Tim, that's about what I figured. It's been 20 years or longer since I went to one. I was thinking that might be the best deal is buying up the demo stuff. But, it is cool to walk around and see all the new stuff.

I remember the last time I went to one - way, way back - and they were showing off a "jointer" type machine. Actually, it was almost something of a gi-normous handplane turned upside-down, and was billed as some sort of surfacer/planer. The single 6" or 8" wide knife was stationary, on top, and the machine shot the piece of wood through and past the blade, which sliced off a really, really thin strip of wood. I remember thinking, "Oh, no, that can't be good!"