PDA

View Full Version : Convert a Kreg right angle clamp to a face clamp

Bryan Nuss
03-22-2005, 4:01 PM
Here's something I thought up while edge joining some boards. I needed some extra reach, since the Kreg face clamp didn't have enough.

I took a 2" square of oak, made a rounded 1/4" deep x about 3/8" diameter depression on one side in the centre to receive the "pin" part of the Kreg right-angle clamp. Voila! A larger face clamp. It's cheaper than springing $35 for the larger face clamp from Kreg. Besides, I got the right-angle clamp a freebie with the Pro kit.

Now, if only I can find a way to stop the block from falling off!

Michael Ballent
03-22-2005, 4:57 PM
Here's something I thought up while edge joining some boards. I needed some extra reach, since the Kreg face clamp didn't have enough.

I took a 2" square of oak, made a rounded 1/4" deep x about 3/8" diameter depression on one side in the centre to receive the "pin" part of the Kreg right-angle clamp. Voila! A larger face clamp. It's cheaper than springing $35 for the larger face clamp from Kreg. Besides, I got the right-angle clamp a freebie with the Pro kit.

Now, if only I can find a way to stop the block from falling off!
Neat idea, thanks for sharing it :D now some improvements that I could think of are as follows:

1. Epoxy the wood to clamp
2. Add some cork to the oak so that there is less of a chance to mark the surface
3. put some wax on the face of the cork so there is less of a chance of it sticking from squeeze out.

Steve Clardy
03-22-2005, 5:56 PM
Excellent idea.

Brian Hale
03-22-2005, 6:34 PM
Good Idea!!

Maybe you can drill a hole 90 degres to the one you have and glue a rare earth magnet in it. That should hold the block in place.

Brian

John Miliunas
03-22-2005, 10:49 PM
Great idea, Bryan! As for keeping the block on, I assume you don't want it permanent, so that you can still use the clamp for its intended purpose. How about squeezing in some silicon caulk? Should hold it and would clean off reasonbly easy.:) :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
03-23-2005, 8:25 AM
Bryan,

What a simple, yet great idea! I sure didn't think of it. I have had a need for a second clamp and didn't have one. Now I do! :)

Scott Loven
04-11-2005, 6:22 PM
what about threading the post and turnind the wood piece on?

Bryan Nuss
04-11-2005, 7:07 PM
Scott - you really don't want to rigidly attach the block to the post .. you want a swivel effect.

Now that I think of it, you could put a section of dowel into a swivel foot for a chair/table and counterbore the dowel to accept the post!!