PDA

View Full Version : Up the Creek - without a handle

George Matthews
03-22-2005, 3:05 PM
I'm nearly finished a blanket box. Red oak, 48x18x24 which will weigh about 40lb empty. The ends and front are raised 3/4 red oak panels. My concern is that the ends are one floating panel and is it reasonable to install handles on the panels? The panels are solid, and should bear the weight. :confused:

Lars Thomas
03-22-2005, 3:44 PM
I’m sure the panel can support the weight, but I’d be more concerned about the dado holding the panel. They are generally only 3/8”. Consider this . . . Drill oversized holes in the panel. Inside the chest, securely mount a ¾” x 1” x 18” ‘cleat’ to the frame – drill ¼” holes in the cleat for the screws to mount the handles. So assemble would go like this – put the screw through the cleat, through the panel and into the handle. This way, the frame is supporting the weight. You could incorporate the cleat as a design ‘feature’ and use it (with two others) to support a removable tray.

Naturally, you could also put the handles in the top rail. For what it’s worth, do you need handles at all? Lars

Todd Burch
03-22-2005, 8:17 PM
Handles are typically used on chests to assist with scooting them around on the floor - not for carrying. They should be fine on the panels.

George Matthews
03-23-2005, 8:09 AM
I’m sure the panel can support the weight, but I’d be more concerned about the dado holding the panel. <snip>
Naturally, you could also put the handles in the top rail. For what it’s worth, do you need handles at all? Lars

The top rail mount just looks wrong. It may well be a more stable mount.

I added a few pocket screws around the spot where I intend to place the handle so that if someone lifts the loaded box the panel is less likely to split.

Lars
The cleat idea is a good one, and in fact I'll probably do a few test lifts to see if I'm worried about nothing before adding this feature.

Thanks.