PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Beech - Good for what?

Bryan Nuss
03-22-2005, 2:58 PM
Today, while visiting my friendly sawmill, the owner's father showed me some spalted beech they had tucked away in the back corner of the old warehouse. They have about 2 or 3 dozen planks 4/4 x 4" x 10' or 12', semi-rough planed. They should finish plane to 7/8". The spalting is dark brown from 1/4" to 3" and "knot-like".

It looks georgeous. I was thinking of making some bedroom dressers with it.

Have any of you worked with this wood before? How's its workabilty? Will it take a light stain? Should a fellow use it for something other than dressers?

Thanks.

Keith Christopher
03-22-2005, 3:54 PM
Problem with most spalted woods, is that there is a fungus in there, and most of the time kiln drying kills it. however some times the wood can get "spongy" and split/tear/break easily from the decay. These can be "toughened up with some CA glue or other hardener however. There is also health concerns around sanding this and breathing in the dust. good dust collection is a must. The end results will be beautiful for sure but take your time with this type of wood.

Jim Becker
03-22-2005, 4:33 PM
Spalted beach can indeed be beautiful and like any such material, it's ideal for highlights, such as panels when combined with a complimentary non-spalted/figured stock and used alone in smaller projects where it would not be too busy. (It's also wonderful for turning) I also favor it for large components that hold certain interests, such as natural edge pieces, but find large objects made entirely with it a little over the top. This is obviously my opinion relative to use of the material and others may have different thoughts.

Keith is correct to caution about using the material, but the cause for concern is moisture reactivation of the spoors...largely in your lungs. You should always wear a mask when working with spalted material, particularly when sanding.

Tom Sontag
03-22-2005, 5:40 PM
Well, one thing it is really good for is pictures of wood gloats. Tyler, throw this man a flag! ;)

I like using spalted wood for smaller non-structural look-at-me pieces. Not that I have made any where pictures could be taken...

lou sansone
03-22-2005, 6:43 PM
hi bryan

my bench in my shop is made from beech. From what I have read about it and my experience with it I would say that it tends to move around quite a bit. It is also very heavy. It does machine pretty good, but I found it somewhat resistant to dying ( reminded me of hard maple ). I also found that as it dried further from 12% to 6% that it tended to check somewhat. But, that is only my experience.

On the plus side it makes a great bench top because it is so hard and heavy. I am actually probably going to pick up a truck load this sping or fall of the stuff for another bench. But IMHO it is probably the most suitable for bench tops and as others have said, accent pieces.

Andy London
03-22-2005, 8:49 PM
Hi Bryan,

Only thing I would add is our beech is very unstable, even kiln dried and left to sit. I've had beech 5 years old go crazy in projects. I have a few Beech logs that are spalted which I will turn, in items where warp will just add some character:)

Andy...in Halifax

Bryan Nuss
03-23-2005, 6:10 AM
Many thanks for the tips, guys. I think I will give the spalted beech a pass for dressers. My main concern is for the dust/spores, since I suffer a bit from shortness of breath (too many years of construction in refineries, coal mines, etc.).