PDA

View Full Version : Folding a Band Saw Blade into 4 loops not 3

Ben Abate
02-27-2012, 5:49 PM
Hi all,

The not so local sharpening/machinery sales business in our area usually folds my bandsaw blades into 4 loops not the usual 3 loops. I stopped in there today to drop off a few saw blades to have sharpened and asked the desk attendant about the fellow who usually cuts and rewelds bandsaw blades and if I could ask him how he folds the blades into 4 loops. He told me that the guy that was there for years is no longer there and no one could tell me. Not the anwser I was looking for. So my question is, does anyone know how to do it. Let me tell you why I'm looking to do this. My saw blades are 182 inches long, if I folded them into 4 loops they would fit in my 14.5 inch cleaning container. If I fold them into 3 loops they don't fit. I'd like to clean a few saw blades and doing it otherwise by hanging them up is a pain and it's messy if you've ever cleaned large bandsaw blades you know what I'm talking about.

thanks all
Ben

Ted Calver
02-27-2012, 6:21 PM
It's enough trouble folding my 183" blades into 3 loops. I always have to get out the book and then fumble through all three methods for half an hour until one works. It looks like rescue panther got me when I'm done. Four loops would have me hanging on a meat hook!!

Joe Hillmann
02-27-2012, 6:47 PM
If you want 5 loops you can fold it into 3 loops, pull one loop longer then the other two and fold that into three loops, that will get it to fit in your cleaner, I don't have a clue how to get 4 loops.

Ben Abate
02-27-2012, 6:53 PM
Ted,
That's funny but you're right. I usually glove, and hat up when I'm folding blades. I once and only once folded a blade with shorts on.....wow can your shins bleed......And 1 inch plus blades make it more interesting. 183 inch blades 1 inch wide do demand some respect. Yea this fellow would always have your blades folded into 4 loops. I never thought much of it until the last time I was cleaning blades and thought himmmmmmmm.....I remember receiving my blades with 4 loops, this would fit into my cleaning container if I could duplicate his way of folding blades....well if you come up with a method let me know.

Joe, just saw your post are you serious about 5 loops????? let me ask have you did this???? I'll give it a try if you are serious about this. I'll have to put on my welding leathers to attempt this. Just kidding but I will try it with a quarter inch blade first and work my way up to the 1 plus inch ones that's for sure. I'm trying to imagine this but if you've successfully have folded them this way I'm game. I keep reading your post and imagining this and I can't get my head around how to do this.

thanks guys

Neil Brooks
02-27-2012, 7:00 PM
Odd # of inches = odd # of loops
Even # of inches = even # of loops

Sorry. You can't change the laws of physics ... says Scotty :)

Dan Hintz
02-27-2012, 7:03 PM
Odd # of inches = odd # of loops
Even # of inches = even # of loops

Sorry. You can't change the laws of physics ... says Scotty :)

Say wha? I see nothing in the laws of physics that says such a thing. What happens if you have a 100.5" blade? Does the universe collapse?

Neil Brooks
02-27-2012, 7:07 PM
Say wha? I see nothing in the laws of physics that says such a thing. What happens if you have a 100.5" blade? Does the universe collapse?

Prolly. YOU wanna' risk it ?? :D

I'm tired, and ... started getting a headache, trying to figure out how to get four loops out of a BS blade, so ... that was my attempt at a BS answer ;)

Dan Hintz
02-27-2012, 7:18 PM
You forgot to ask the computer by speaking into the mouse...

Van Huskey
02-27-2012, 7:24 PM
Don't be difficult Dan, 100.5 ends in an odd number, so odd number of loops... :D

My grandfather did 4 loops but I never bothered to learn his approach. If you have a shorter band it would be easier to experiment, without the need for a face shield and chainsaw chaps.

Andrew Hughes
02-27-2012, 7:37 PM
I bought a blade from a on line suppler that came folded in four loops.I was impressed how small the box it was shipped in.I carefully unfolded it and put on the saw always eager to try a new blade.But it was badly kinked and sounded like a choo choo train passing thru the guides so i sent it back.What a buzz kill it was.:(

Ben Abate
02-27-2012, 8:01 PM
Ok, here's my attempt at Neil's theory. If you have a 182 or 183 inch saw blade right? divide that by 5 loops which gives you 36.6 inches right? Meaning each loop would be 36.6 inches. Divide that by 3.14 meaning bend that into a circle right? that would give you 11.65 right? If you did this and divided by 4 it would be 45.75 divide that by 3.14 and you have 14.57 and that might not fit in a 14.5 or so inch container. Now I'm not getting out the micrometer but I can now see Neil's thinking. Now one of you smart guys tell me if knot divided by knot equals knot.......and some pie......

Now I just need Joe to post a video of how to bend this thing into 5 loops......Joe how about taking tomorrow off work and practicing this and posting a video to save us all some blood.

John A langley
02-27-2012, 8:38 PM
Ben - Get a bigger container. Seriously, I just got a bandsaw blade with four loops and the weld broke immediately when I was putting it on the saw. I think three would be enough.

Neil Brooks
02-27-2012, 8:49 PM
Ben-

You're on the right track, but ... is it time to introduce the TPI (Teeth Per Inch) variable ?

In this equation, you have to use the SQUARE of TPI (TPI ^2) in order to figure out the diameter of the circle(s) you seek.

It's complicated, but ... obviously ... you're the only one in our generation who's even thinking about figuring this out, so ... it's you, or ... it's a lost art !

I say go for it !!

Ben Abate
02-27-2012, 9:05 PM
Neil,
I never thought of the TPI equation...that's where I'm going wrong.

John,
I'll have to get a garbage can to fit this thing into. by the way am I the only one that cleans the pitch off of my bandsaw blades????
I should be grateful that I have such a big saw right and don't worry about cleaning the $220.00 blades. Earlier this past weekend I got into the conversation about resharpening these blades and now I'm thinking a good cleaning would be all I need. I do have to sharpen a couple of them.

The last time I cleaned these big saw blades it was a mess. Hung them up in the shop and started spraying and wiping pitch remover on them. Then scrubing them with a brush, just looking to find a better way to clean them. I really don't remember non carbide blades gathering so much pitch. I know it depends on the wood being cut but I have been using all hardwoods. Like anything else you need to clean your blades now and then.

John A langley
02-27-2012, 9:44 PM
Ben - Take them to the car wash. Hang them on the mat hooks, spray them down with your cleaner and spray them off I take my cloth back wide-belts to the carwash. No soap. Cleans them pup beautiful.

Ben Abate
02-28-2012, 10:10 AM
Success fellows,
Actually it didn't take that long to figure out once I thought about what Joe had said. I went into the shop grabbed a 1/4 inch blade and tried it a few times. Then I grabbed a 1/2 inch one and got it the first time. So then I got the 1 inch carbide blade and it took a couple of tries because it is so stiff but once I got it to that point it went into the 5 loop fold.

Heres how I did it. Got it to the 3 loop fold and then as Joe said I made two of the loops small with one loop large and then with the teeth facing out grabbed it with a reverse grip and pushed it down and with a twist and it sort of went into the two other loops to give a 5 loop fold. Smaller bandsaw blades fold up really nice, the 1 inch Tri Master folds ok but it is a bit bulkier than the other two since it's so stiff. Once in the 5 fold though it is ok. Now I don't have to buy cleaning solution by the 55 gallon drum to clean blades.

So thanks for all your help. Oh and Neil, thanks for the physics lesson. Nice to know all is well in your universe.....

Ben

Lee Schierer
02-28-2012, 1:27 PM
I found this on another site:

1.Go get a bandsaw blade to practice with, preferably between 1/4" and 1/2" wide. Hold the uncoiled blade in a horizontal circle in front of you, teeth up. For the purpose of this discussion, we'll identify 6 o'clock as the point nearest your navel; 12 o'clock is the point farthest from you.

2.Support the bandsaw blade with your left hand at about 9 o'clock: palm up, fingers below the blade pointing toward 2 o'clock, thumb closing lightly over the top.

3.Hold the other side of the bandsaw blade with your right hand at 3 o'clock: palm down, fingers above the blade pointing left toward 10 o'clock, thumb wrapped lightly beneath.

4.Move your hands toward each other to halve the distance between them, squeezing the blade into an oval.

5.Without moving your elbow, bend your left wrist up toward you as if you were tipping a beer.

6.Without moving your elbow, bend your right wrist down as if you were casting a fly. When both fists are roughly vertical (like holding a steering wheel), the bandsaw blade will be bent into the shape of a saddle, with high lobes left and right, low lobes front and back.

7.Without moving your elbow, rotate your left wrist 45° clockwise, bringing the left lobe of the saddle down to the right.

8.Without moving your elbow, rotate your right wrist about 45° counterclockwise, bringing the right lobe down to the left above the left lobe. As you rotate your wrists you'll see the low lobe at your navel moving up and forward, while the front low lobe moves back toward it. It doesn't matter which lies above the other.

9.Keep on rotating your left wrist, letting your hand migrate toward 6 o'clock, until the left lobe (now a loop) is horizontal.

10.Rotate your right wrist, letting your hand move to 12 o'clock, until its loop, too, is horizontal.

11.Step back and admire. If you've been living right and thinking good thoughts, you just coiled a bandsaw blade! If it didn't work perfectly, never fear. It was only a first try, after all. Have another go at it, one sentence at a time. Sooner or later it'll work, and there'll be a new bandsaw blade coiling expert in the woodworking world.

Steps 1-11 will get you 3 coils....for four you need to do the following:
To get the 4th loop:
Once you have the 3 and before you let go with your left hand, shuffle the loops so that the loop you are holding with your left hand is 2-3 times the diameter of the other loops.
Continue rotating your hands as per above (left hand towards you, right hand away from you, and the 4th loop will appear.
May take a little practice, but it works.

YMMV (I've not tried this myself)

Joe Hillmann
02-28-2012, 2:12 PM
If you are doing this to clean your blades have you tried cleaning them on the machine? Soak a board in diesel fuel for a few days then cut it up on the band saw and your blade will clean itself as it cuts.

Neil Brooks
02-28-2012, 2:27 PM
Excellent instructions, Lee.

My Wood Slicer ... having made a very musical "SPROING !" noise ... is now stuck in my ceiling joists.

Little help ??? :)

Dan Hintz
02-28-2012, 2:59 PM
My Wood Slicer ... having made a very musical "SPROING !" noise ... is now stuck in my ceiling joists.

Little help ??? :)
Whatcha need, drums? Brass?

Myk Rian
02-28-2012, 3:35 PM
I fold my thinner 105" blades 4 times.
Do it the regular way, pull a large loop from that, and fold the loop once.
Never could get a 1/2" blade to do it, but the thinner ones will.

Neil Brooks
02-28-2012, 4:40 PM
Whatcha need, drums? Brass?

Since I've got wind (!), that would be a good start :)

Ben Abate
02-28-2012, 8:28 PM
Fellows you've all been a huge help I appreciate the help. Pretty amazing you forget how well a good clean blade cuts. I cleaned 3 blades today and I'm sure I'll not forget how to do it after this.

After cleaning the blades I was surprised to see how much gunk was in the pan afterwards. Especially the big blades.

Again, thank you very much for your imput.
Ben