PDA

View Full Version : Mom's

Alan Trout
02-27-2012, 4:00 PM
Well here is another. I just got a chance to take a photo of this yesterday. I borrowed it from my mother because I never took pictures.

I did this about a year ago as a demo but it was approaching my mother's birthday. Like any good mother she loves the pieces I make and thought she would enjoy this piece.

This is a scrap of manzanita burl that I had left from another form. It was kind of a silk purse out of a sows ear. I hate wasting wood so I figured I would make this one work. It is pretty slender and decided I would not try to roll the bottom edge as the base is small enough.

The resin is a mixture of blue and lavender but not my typical blue lavender combination. I have to say this was one of my favorite color combinations that I have ever done and have not used it since. But it is in the plan at sometime to use it again.

It is about 6" high and about 3" or 3 1/4" in diameter. The finish is high gloss CA.

As always cheers and jeers welcome.

Thanks for looking

Alan

Bob Lloyd
02-27-2012, 4:03 PM
Amazing colors, great job.

Ken Glass
02-27-2012, 4:04 PM
Allan,
Totally first class. I really really like the Resin you are using. It simply makes these forms. Superb Work.

Scott Hackler
02-27-2012, 4:05 PM
One word.....AWESOME. Love everything about this piece.

steve mcconnell
02-27-2012, 4:05 PM
Have to say, I am not normally a fan of resin work, but this is absolutely fabulous. Looks like a planet viewed from space. I love it.

Doug W Swanson
02-27-2012, 4:06 PM
Alan, your work always amazes me. This one is no different!

Joe Hillmann
02-27-2012, 4:09 PM
It looks a lot like a globe. I think it would be cool do do one like that but cut the wood into the shape of the continents before casting it so when you turn it it ends up looking like a globe.

Bernie Weishapl
02-27-2012, 4:10 PM
Beautiful Alan. I can see why she loves it so much.

Tom Winship
02-27-2012, 4:28 PM
Beautiful. +1 on the globe resemblance.

Alan Trout
02-27-2012, 4:39 PM
Everyone thanks compliments.

It is always tough getting these back from my mother for photo's. She has a few of my pieces and hates to let them go. What can I say both my mother and father are great people that love their son and likes the things he makes. :)

Alan

Nate Davey
02-27-2012, 4:40 PM
Absolutely gorgeous Alan. The colors are so bright and vivid and the form is first class as always.

John Keeton
02-27-2012, 5:01 PM
What can I say both my mother and father are great people that love their son and likes the things he makes. :)

AlanAlan, having spent some time with you, and having seen your work up close and personal, I can understand the feelings of your parents on both counts!! Personally, I like the other blue resin mixture you have used better, but then, colors are such a personal thing. Great form and another great piece!

Steve Busey
02-27-2012, 6:06 PM
As someone else said, normally these hybrids don't appeal to me, but this one does - beautiful coloring & contrast!

Joe Hillmann
02-27-2012, 6:40 PM
For those of us who would be happy to be able to turn a 2x2 into a dowel do you mind telling us how you cast the resin?

Mike Cruz
02-27-2012, 6:52 PM
At first I wasn't sure that I liked the blue resin, but then saw the whole ocean and continents thing and it quickly grew on me. No wonder your mother likes it...

David E Keller
02-27-2012, 7:22 PM
Love it! The pearly, swirly bits are my favorite feature!

Steve Vaughan
02-27-2012, 7:51 PM
That is just astonishing. Do you have a tutorial of what you do? Can you give up any secrets?

Bill Bolen
02-27-2012, 8:28 PM
That is a real eye-popper Alan! That swirling color just sucks the eyes right in.

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-27-2012, 8:38 PM
Alan,
Sometimes I get so taken by your colors and swirls I don't pay attention to your shapes. Let's get the colors etc. aside. They're fantastic. I really like the shape of this form. Your work is always a treat.
faust

Donny Lawson
02-27-2012, 8:50 PM
To me, thats about as AWESOME as it gets. Stunning colors. I Love it.

Alan Trout
02-27-2012, 9:09 PM
Everyone,

Thanks for all the nice words. I have been working on an article forever. Just seems I have trouble making the time but will get it done soon I hope. But it is always better to see the process as it answers a lot of the questions.

Color is funny. I often tell people that everyone likes blue. Men like green and women like purple. Red has its own dedicated following and seems to be both me and women in equal numbers. Statistically orange is the most disliked color. However I do plan to do an orange piece at some time. It is interesting what colors people gravitate to.

Alan

James Combs
02-27-2012, 9:13 PM
Alan that is an outstanding piece of work. There are some folks over on the IAP that love your work also.
Got a couple of questions if you don't mind answering them. 1. Are/were the individual pieces of wood connected. 2. Are you using PR or something like Alumilite?

Alan Trout
02-27-2012, 9:26 PM
James,

yes the pieces of wood are connected. I look for specific pieces that will suit my needs. When you try to place pieces of wood in a pattern in my opinion it looses that organic feel. That is one of the reasons I dislike the term "worthless wood" as finding the right piece wood and the way the piece of wood is oriented is a big part of the artistry. Finding the right piece of wood can be a bit of a challenge at times. Yes, I use Alumilite. However any other Polyurethane resin should work. The reason I don't use the polyester resins is that there is to much shrinkage for this application.

Alan

Sid Matheny
02-27-2012, 9:29 PM
I sure can't think of anthing bad to say about this beauty! A+

Sid

John W Dixon
02-27-2012, 9:48 PM
Very nice, my first impression was of a globe also. The resin looks like ocean moving around the continents. Pretty darn cool.

Baxter Smith
02-27-2012, 9:58 PM
Great piece Alan! I remember this ones big brother. It was just as stunning but I think I prefer the gracefulness of this form a bit more.

Alan Trout
02-27-2012, 10:32 PM
Baxter,

You are pretty much correct. I guess you would call it, its parasitic twin.:) This was cut off from one end of that piece.

Again thanks,

Alan

Kathy Marshall
02-27-2012, 11:22 PM
Very cool Alan! Love the swirly, pearly blue!

Russell Eaton
02-28-2012, 7:17 AM
Another wonderful piece. I think I agree with you, need to use those colors again.

Michelle Rich
02-28-2012, 7:22 AM
always love seeing your pieces..great color

James Combs
02-28-2012, 3:27 PM
James,
yes the pieces of wood are connected. I look for specific pieces that will suit my needs. When you try to place pieces of wood in a pattern in my opinion it looses that organic feel. That is one of the reasons I dislike the term "worthless wood" as finding the right piece wood and the way the piece of wood is oriented is a big part of the artistry. Finding the right piece of wood can be a bit of a challenge at times. Yes, I use Alumilite. However any other Polyurethane resin should work. The reason I don't use the polyester resins is that there is to much shrinkage for this application.
Alan

Alan, thanks for the quick reply. Just one more question that deals with the CA. How do you apply it on such a large form?

James Roberts
02-28-2012, 3:55 PM
Sweet! While I know that Mom's love our stuff no matter what it looks like (macaroni necklace anyone?), It seems that your mother has very good taste. Great colors and form.

Alan Trout
02-28-2012, 4:42 PM
James,

Applying CA to a large form is about technique. It is one of those things that is best seen to understand. Took me quite a while to get it down pat and the technique is evolving all the time. Sorry I can't help more but maybe one of these day's I will do a video.

Thanks,

Alan

Bill Wyko
02-28-2012, 7:09 PM
Alan, your work is in a class all by itself. Absolutely superb, thanks for sharing it with us.