PDA

View Full Version : Help with base cabinet applied end panel design

scott vroom
02-27-2012, 1:46 PM
I'm looking for ideas on how to do applied end panels on kitchen base cabinets (to match shaker style doors). I'm having trouble visualizing how they should look, particularly at the bottom where the toe kick cutout shows. Pics of your base cab finished end panels would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

John A langley
02-27-2012, 5:20 PM
SCOTT - I run my 2" stile all the way to the floor on my finished ends. I hold the plywood bulkhead back 3/4" from the finished edge. I make my panel the overall size of the end of my cabinet ie 24 x 34-1/2 I make the top rail 3" to 3-1/2 which allows just enough for an outlet if one is needed. I make my bottom rail the height of my toe kick+ rail+ door rail. I cut 3/4 off the front edge of myu panel to make it 23 1/4 then both stiles look the same. If you PM me your email address I can send pictures. I'm not smart enough to know how to post them on the forum. PS I have a son who lives in Auburn. Anywhere near Mountain View?

Sam Murdoch
02-27-2012, 5:42 PM
I wish I could show you a good representation but none of my photos show that detail :(. For a face frame cabinet I typically attach the end panel to the front face frame stile. I might add a base board to the outside of the finished end panel in which case the bottom rail of the finished end aligns with the bottom rail of the doors. The toe kick does not continue down the side - it is trapped by the finished end going to the floor and the front stile.

Alternatively, you can have the toe kick run through - in that case the finished end is sized just like the doors (as regards to the placement of the rails). The finished end stile is attached to the face frame stile in this case also. I normally add a baseboard that returns with the finished toe kick on the front of the cabinet. That base board on the side can be set flush with the panel above or applied to the face. You can look at the hutch drawing in my album on my profile page to get some idea. I'm afraid that that is the closest I can get to an example. You'll need to use your imagination a bit :)