PDA

View Full Version : Sealed bid win = New shop table

Jim Laumann
02-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Our church did some upgrades in the church kitchen, replacing two work tables and a refrigerator. The old ones were put up for sale to members via sealed bid.

Since we already have a 2nd refrig (at home), and I have a mini-frig in the shop, I eyeballed the tables. I figured the surface space, a full size shelf, plus the locking castor wheels would be a nice upgrade over the hunk of plywood on saw horses that I use today. Figured up a bid - submitted it. I knew there were some others also bidding, so it was a wait and see game for the bid period to close.

Got a phone call on Weds - Feb 22 - my bid was accepted. Picked up the table on Sat morning. In 3 words - "I done good"....

225417 225418 225416

Table size is 30x60" - a full 3" thick of 1.5" wide strips of birch or maple - I am leaning toward maple due to the dark streaks in the wood when viewed on the underside. The shelf is heavy duty sheet steel - paint over galv. coating. Steel looks to be 1/16" thick. I've crawled on to the shelf - laid on it to look at the underside of the wood - it doesn't creak or give a bit - it's solid. There are wheel locks on 2 of the 4 casters. The top is currently covered w/ wood grain formica (loose on a couple of the sides, and one corner of the top).

I had been expecting either plywood or particle board substrate under the formica - I was completely blown away when I found the full thickness hardwood. So now I am pondering what to do w/ the table over the long term - am contemplating pulling the top off the legs - and build a wood undercarriage for the top - make it in to a cabinet makers style bench. That done, then make a new "utility" table top for the legs/shelf from 2x lumber or plywood.

As to my bid - a mere $56.95 - it beat out multiple $50 bids, and a $55 bid. The other table (same size/style) went for $75.

Jim

Michael Weber
02-27-2012, 1:36 PM
Great find. I also find it pays not to make an even bid but just a tad more. That's going to be a heavy duty top for sure.

Don Jarvie
02-27-2012, 3:16 PM
You read my mind regarding a cabinet makers bench. Tops like that go for big bucks. Wander over to the Neander thread and get some ideas.

Nice deal.

Jim Laumann
02-27-2012, 4:11 PM
You read my mind regarding a cabinet makers bench. Tops like that go for big bucks. Wander over to the Neander thread and get some ideas.

Nice deal.

Don

Yup - I was quite surprised when I looked at them in Grizzly's catalog http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2012/Main/285

And the thickest they have is 2.25"....

Van Huskey
02-27-2012, 5:21 PM
YOU SUCK! Great score. I hate sealed bid auctions but they do keep me from bidding too much.