PDA

View Full Version : Festool?? Router table??

Dan Racette
03-22-2005, 12:29 PM
I was looking for a router to put in a router table and I was thinking about some of the festool line. I was wondering if they have plates and adapters that would easily put them into a router table? do they have a lifting system designed specially for them? I am just looking at this point. Festools have a lot of smooth power with the electronic controls. I have an option for another router if the festool option doesn't work out.

thoughts? anyone?

John Lucas
03-22-2005, 12:53 PM
I havent heard of anyone doing so yet. I have the Festool OF2000 (3.5 hp) that I almost have in a router table. Actually I am using the Lee Valley circular mount and will install that in a Festool MFT table. I got started in the task which should be relatively easy...but sidetracked doing a DVD. I will do it in next month.
But Dan, while the Festool line of routers do have wonderful features, I think the OF2000 may be too good for use in the table. I think it is possible that once I test the Festool OF2000 in the LeeValley insert, I think the router of choice may be the Hitachi M12V. It is about $200 less and is ideal for table use. The Festool OF2000 is a great manual router. But, I look forward to giving it a real test. What makes the LeeValley insert plate so good is that you do NOT have to drill mounting holes — just tighten up the hold downs.

Bob Marino
03-22-2005, 12:54 PM
Hi Dan,

The Festool routers, (all are plungers) would not be the best choice for a router table. Where they shine is in hand held useage, on or off the rails, not under a table.

Bob

Jim Becker
03-22-2005, 1:25 PM
I'm in agreement with the above...I LOVE my Festool routers, but they will never displace my PC7518 in the table. And if I were forced to replace the PC in the table, it would be with either another one or a another product as suited to table use.

Sam Blasco
03-22-2005, 1:35 PM
I'll fourth that motion. Though my big Bosch has a new plunge system that allows you to disengage the springs and use it like a cheaper above table lifting system, designed with the router table in mind. However, the PC is staying put in the table, I just don't find enough reason to redo a table insert and with my bicycle seat, quick release cam, it is very easy to get the machine to a desired height.

Dan Racette
03-22-2005, 2:50 PM
John,

I am really down to the festool or the bosch 1619. I think the festool is just a better piece of engineering and electronics. I see your point about it being a "too good" of a piece of equipment for a table, though.

So, pretty much that makes me hip to the bosch.

PC is out of the question.

Dave Falkenstein
03-22-2005, 2:56 PM
I'm not aware of any lift mechanisms that are specific to Festool routers. There are several good choices in routers that have above the table adjusting mechanisms built in. And lots of other choices that have lift systems designed for specific routers. And, the Festool products do cost a bit much, compared to other choices for table installation. I suspect you can get an excellent router and lift or plate for less than the Festool router cost. Most folks do not like sharing a table router with hand-held use. Festool would be a great choice for a high-end, hand-held router, combined with another router/lift for the table.

Steven Wilson
03-22-2005, 3:05 PM
I have not come across anything that is as well matched as a PC7518 and a Bench Dog lift for a router table. The only thing better is a 5hp, tilting arbor, sliding table, shaper. Skip the Festool (for this application) and get the 7518 with the correct lift

Dan Racette
03-22-2005, 3:11 PM
PC is out of the question. I know that there are simply other routers out there that would work, I was just feeling out the practicality of the festool quality in a table.

NO PC. I have problems with PC that simply allows me to not purchase them. There are plenty of other players out there, I was just looking into festool in particular.

dan

Dick Latshaw
03-22-2005, 4:31 PM
If a PC is out of the question, how about a Milwaukee 5625. I have one in my table and it is great. Everyone's favorite web store is selling them for $285 at the moment.

Dan Racette
03-22-2005, 4:34 PM
I think that Milwaukee is a great and very heavy duty piece of equipment. I have a friend that works closely with them on product testing. I have just found that the bosch is a much smoother running product in that same class.

That milwaukee also has some nice features!

Greg Mann
03-22-2005, 4:43 PM
The only Festool router that I would consider under the table would be the OF2000. It is a little more like conventional plungers than either the 1010 or 1400. Those two just have "Hand-held" written all over them. Having said that, I use an M12V in my table, because whatever other pros and cons there are, I love the quick release of the collet. I don't think it is the best holding collet, for holding power the Festools beat it by a mile (kilometer?), but I can forgive this router anything else because it is so easy to change bits. A bent wrench and a quarter turn and you are done, period.

Greg