PDA

View Full Version : What to topcoat over Watco?

carl zietz
02-27-2012, 10:57 AM
I use Watco Natural for almost all my projects, due to shop size and almost ever present dust, inspite of dust collection and filters I do not spray, what would folks reccomend for topcoat? I am leaning toward some sort of wax. Note, this is not for table tops or other hard use items.

thanks
Carl

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
02-27-2012, 1:33 PM
http://www.wwch.org/Technique/Finishes/OilFin.htm

This is what I do when using Watco. Good result if you don't shortcut.

Howard Acheson
02-27-2012, 3:23 PM
Watco is intended to be a complete finish right out of the can. It's a mixture of boiled linseed oil and a small amount of varnish. It's a penetrating in-the-wood finish that is absorbed into the wood leaving the look and feel of the wood. It's not intended to be top coated.

If you want a smooth surface film finish like you would get from varnish or poly varnish, skip the Watco. Wipe on a thin coat of boiled linseed oil for coloring. When the BLO has dried, apply whatever top coat you want.

Prashun Patel
02-27-2012, 3:32 PM
Carl, you can wax the Watco if you wish. IMHO, wax is arguably useful on film finishes bkz it acts like a lube for whatever fine abrasive you apply it with, and it has a sheen when buffed that many find the perfect amount of gloss.

You can apply film forming finishes in yr dusty environment (as do I) by making your own wiping varnish that is just a mix of equal parts filmforming varnish and mineral spirits. When wiped thin, these types of finishes require minimal sanding between odd coats. Like yr Watco, it takes umpteen coats to get up to a build, but I find it way more controllable than brushing and safer than spraying.

carl zietz
02-27-2012, 5:03 PM
Thanks Guys,
I shall endeavour to learn patience and many coats ;)

Carl

Scott Holmes
02-27-2012, 7:21 PM
Jeff,

This article is the proper application technique for a "Danish oil" or generically an oil/varnish blend.

Unforutnately, the guy that wrote it says it's for "oil finishes" which or course an oil/varnish blend is not. He even quotes the actual correct process for oil finishes. Once a day for a week once a week for ... He misspoke when he said that raw linseed oil will never cure or dry; it will but it takes a very long time. Ditto for pure tung oil however it may dry a bit quicker...

Mark Patoka
02-28-2012, 8:25 AM
I use Watco fairly often and I usually just use a brushing lacquer as a topcoat. Because I usually use the dark brown or red stain colors the first brush coat may lift off some of the color but I haven't noticed it to be a problem. Since the pieces I do are small, I'll sometimes use a rattle can spray lacquer for the first coat and then follow up with brushing for the additional coats.