PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Sweetheart # 62

richard poitras
02-27-2012, 7:17 AM
I was just wondering what everyone’s thoughts were on the new Stanley Sweetheart no. 62 hand plane. Are they any good? How’s the iron for holding an edge? This plane is the new design that came out not to long ago as Stanly released the new / old Sweetheart series. I have an opportunity to get one for about ½ price. (Mint condition) Is the quality on them up to pare or should I spend more on one of the better brands like LN or Veritas. I was going to use it mainly for a shooting board plane. I have not much experience with hand plans and am just getting into them. I think/know that they state this type of plane is best for shooting boards? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jerome Hanby
02-27-2012, 8:27 AM
I think you may have to form your own opinion. I suspect you'll get equal numbers of replies that "all new Stanley's suck" and "the plane gods will be offended if you don't buy Veritas or LN". I haven't seen any "bad" reviews on the new Stanleys. What I get from what I've read is that they are about on par with the new Woodriver planes and if you break planes down into three broad categories, crap modern, old vintage, and superior modern,they would end up in the last category.

Rockler has good reviews on it, Amazon has 3/5 stars based on 5 reviews. If that price is half of the new $115 Amazon price I'd jump on it. If it's half of the $180 Rockler price, then I'd say it's a little discount for being used, nothing spectacular, will all depend on your impression of the plane.

Andrew Pitonyak
02-27-2012, 11:39 AM
If you opt to purchase one is buy it from a place where you can return it if you are unhappy and test it immediately after you purchase it. I let mine sit for a few months before I used it and realized that it was in need of repair (incorrectly made screw). My attempts to contact Stanley did not provide any response and the web site indicates that you mail the tool to them for repair (I only needed a new screw). I fixed the screw myself based on directions provided here on the forum. So, I guess that my main complaint is just that if you have a problem, you won't be able to call them or receive any response other than through the mail. (based on my very limited one time experience)

It is the only shoulder plane that I own so i cannot comment on how others function, but I do not like it (which may not be a Stanley problem). My complaint with that is the design and how it adjusts. Not having tried any other, perhaps none are any better. The plane did do exactly as it should. The blade took an edge. But for a little bit more (because it was very expensive) I could have purchased from a more responsive company.

If possible, go to where you can lay your hands on the plane and give it a try. Odds are that if you able to easily adjust the plane and it feels comfortable in your hand, then you will be happy with it. I know a guy who strongly prefers LN over Lee Valley for a particular plane because of how that one plane feels in his hand. For another one it is the other way around.

I own a Lie Nielsen dovetail saw that I do not like. My saw pinched my hand and left it sore after cutting a bit. LN replaced the handle for free and now it is too large. Every other LN saw that I have tried of the same type feels great in my hand (I tried a bunch at the WIA conference last year). If I complained again, LN would probably replace the handle again... I would be more proactive if I did not love my Bad Axe saw that I purchased because the LN hurt my hand but was still my best cutting saw. Two points of note. (1) if you can lay your hands on it before you buy it that is probably a good thing and (2) some companies are just easier to deal with.

Jim Koepke
02-27-2012, 12:37 PM
I bought the LN 62 before Stanley reintroduced their planes.

I know LN (or LV) will stand behind their products. I have never had one of the Stanley 62s in my hands. I did hear they had some early production problems. Not sure if those have been corrected or if they were just flukes.

One consideration for some is the resale value. If the Stanley is being listed at half price, that doesn't say much for the resale value. Then there is the question of why it is at half price? If it is from a private party, then try the plane first.

One of the problems I have heard about is the bed for the blade sloping from side to side. This would be a major problem.

jtk

Joel Goodman
02-27-2012, 1:24 PM
+1 on LN and LV service -- priceless.

James Owen
02-27-2012, 3:09 PM
My experience (from having worked in a Woodcraft store) is that the new Stanley Sweetheart planes are very inconsistent in their quality control.

A couple of examples:

(1) A #4 whose mouth would not close tighter than about 3/16", because the mouth plate was not properly machined, along with having a large amount of backlash in the iron adjustment mechanism -- they all have some backlash (and Norris-type adjustors are notorious for having quite a bit, unless they are very carefully machined) -- but the amount in this particular plane bordered on the ridiculous....

(2) A low angle jack plane whose bed was machined at a very slight angle from side to side; this made it impossible to get the iron to line up with the front edge of the mouth and to get a consistent depth of cut across the entire iron (perhaps grinding the iron at a skewed angle would have solved this defect, but that's not what the customer paid for.....).

Overall, I found the quality to be much better than the run-of-the-mill modern Stanley bench and shoulder planes, but most certainly not up to the standards of Lie-Nielsen or Lee Valley. In quality control terms, I found the Wood River to be much more consistent, although it took a couple of iterations for Woodcraft to really get all of the details right.

If you want a "beater" plane, this one will do the trick, but if you are looking for a high-quality low angle jack plane that won't be a continual frustration generator, I would suggest spending the extra money and buying either the LN or the LV.

richard poitras
02-27-2012, 7:43 PM
I decided to pass on the deal as I found too many reviews with not so stellar marks. I rather pay full price and get a nice one than ½ price on something that I will not be happy with down the road. Thanks for the info…..
Richard

Chris Vandiver
02-27-2012, 7:50 PM
Very good decision!!

Don Dorn
02-27-2012, 8:23 PM
I decided to pass on the deal as I found too many reviews with not so stellar marks. I rather pay full price and get a nice one than ½ price on something that I will not be happy with down the road. Thanks for the info…..
Richard

Excellent logic and a quotable response.

In my case, I have a large LN shoulder plane and couldn't get a square cut for anything. I called LN and they asked me to send it back and provided the shipping label. I got it back in two weeks advising me that it wasn't my imagination and what they did to correct it. A week later, I got an followup email asking if it was acceptable to me. That kind of service keeps me coming back to LN and LV. I don't think it's elitism at all, but rather prudent purchasing to obtain a fine lifetime tool which is completely backed up by the manufacture.

You didn't say what you decided on, but whatever it is, I certainly hope you like it and will put it to good use.

richard poitras
02-27-2012, 11:06 PM
You didn't say what you decided on, but whatever it is, I certainly hope you like it and will put it to good use.

At this point I am not sure. Like I stated in my original post looking for something just for use on a shooting board mainly.

Richard

Jerome Hanby
02-28-2012, 8:21 AM
I'd like to know what you decide. I chased a few 62's with the same notion of using with a shooting board. I'm now thinking I might try building something...

At this point I am not sure. Like I stated in my original post looking for something just for use on a shooting board mainly.

Richard

richard poitras
02-28-2012, 1:11 PM
I just seen a Veritas low angle smooth plane for sale in my area as well in good shape for $30. 00 less than new what are thoughts on this plane? Also it is available from the dealer with different blade bevels what would be the best blade for a shooting board. I am checking with the owner on what one it has on it.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=45864&cat=1,41182,52515 (http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=45864&cat=1,41182,52515)

Thanks Richard

Rob Lee
02-28-2012, 2:42 PM
I just seen a Veritas low angle smooth plane for sale in my area as well in good shape for $30. 00 less than new what are thoughts on this plane? Also it is available from the dealer with different blade bevels what would be the best blade for a shooting board. I am checking with the owner on what one it has on it.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=45864&cat=1,41182,52515 (http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=45864&cat=1,41182,52515)

Thanks Richard

Gee Richard... at that price, I'd buy it myself.... :)

Cheers -

Rob

David Weaver
02-28-2012, 2:49 PM

Thanks Richard

At $30, if it turns out to be what you showed us, and it's Lee Valley, don't worry about what steel or what angle the blade is. Just buy it, you can sort out the details later. It won't be around long for that if someone finds out that the guy/girl has it for $30.

Chris Griggs
02-28-2012, 3:06 PM
Hey guys just to point out. He said $30 less than new, not $30. That's $159, still a good deal if its in near new condition though. I'd buy one for that price!

Rob Lee
02-28-2012, 4:01 PM
Hey guys just to point out. He said $30 less than new, not $30. That's $159, still a good deal if its in near new condition though. I'd buy one for that price!

Ahh... fooled by the space after the decimal (makes it look like a period).

Charlie Buchanan
02-28-2012, 6:27 PM
Just recently bought a LN 62. I am very pleased with the plane as a shooter. Just honed a microbevel on the iron and it was perfect transparent end-grain shavings on cherry board first time out. I did buy the wiener handle although it was expensive but it makes a big difference for shooting. Have used several other shooting setups belonging to others but the LN 62 works as well as any and better than most.

richard poitras
02-28-2012, 7:57 PM
Sorry about the confusion of the $30.00 price I know better than that ….:)
Charlie, what degree of bevel is on the blade that you are using for your new LN 62 with the shooting board?
Thanks Richard

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
02-28-2012, 9:22 PM
For shooting, I like as low as I can go and get a decent iron life - I was using 25 degrees, but got a bit of chipping so I upped it to thirty - I still don't know if I hit something or the A2 blade doesn't like being that acute, but it was the easiest way to grind past the chipping.