PDA

View Full Version : Driveway Paving

Brian Shutter
03-22-2005, 12:17 PM
I've got an asphalt driveway that is crumbling and sinking. I'll need to replace it soon but since I don't know much about asphalt I thought I'd try to get some info from smart people before I even get into the process of getting estimates.

I've got about 1,350 sq ft of driveway in Minnesota. I've read that I should expect to pay between $3 and $5 per sq ft for asphalt. Does this sound accurate?

It seems that the original contractor didn't compact the material before laying the asphalt because the driveway is sinking (almost 3 inches) along the concrete of the garage floor. This seems to be a fairly common problem for driveways in our area and for homes built fairly recently--our house was built in 1988. Is it typical for contractors to compact the aggregate before laying blacktop as they do with concrete or do I need to specify that they do that?

What else do I need to know before I have to start talking to the people who will take my jointer, motorcycle, and pickup money away from me?

Thanks for your help.

Brian.

Ray Bersch
03-22-2005, 5:13 PM
Brian, I can't help you with pricing, but I do suggest you solve the sinking problem before you repave.

A good builder always compacts the driveway area before paving. That prevents costly call backs and complaints. This is not something a homebuyer should have to specify.

Your problem could be simple - as you mentioned, failure to compact the area under the asphalt. The area in question, as I understand it, is just in front of the garage door, adjoining the garage concrete floor. That is where there was excavation for the foundation (frost wall). Usually this area is backfilled pretty early in the construction process and does not need attention by the time the final drive goes in. It could be that the builder back filled late in the construction process or had to trench out for something late in the process (like an underground roof drain sysetm) - anyway, the area settled and two to three inches is not uncommon.

If the area is stable i.e. has not shown a tendency to sink in the recent past, you may be able to just pave over it and let it go at that. This should be the case if the problem dates back to the original backfill.

The problem could also be a bit more complex, and this is where you need to do some investigation. It could be that water is washing away the soil - that could be surface water or under surface water, so you have to make some judgement calls. Is there any chance that surface water is running at or near your driveway - from a neighboring property, from a downspout? If you do not have roof gutters check to see if roof water is pouring down directly on the asphalt - that is a problem - if so, install a roof gutter in this area and be sure it drains away from the house and driveway. Or perhaps your roof drains lead to underground pipes that take the water away from the house. One could run across the the driveway in front of the garage and has broken, so it is leaking and causing undersurface erosion - check it out. In these cases, once the water problem is solved, remove the asphalt and fill the area with some stone - in my area it's called "quarry process stone or just qp" but it is stone with lots of "fines" or stone dust - it compacts well - ask around locally for the right material. Just do not fill it with dirt from around your house and be sure to compact it well or you will be starting all over again in a couple of years.

You implied that the entire drive needs repaving. That may not be unusual for what is now a 17 year old house (how time flies), especially if this was a "tract" house and if you have done nothing to maintain the original paving (my last driveway lasted more than 30 years.) However, if the drive is in reasonable shape, you should not have to remove all of the old asphalt - just compact it and pave over it. If it is really crumbling, you should remove it - that will add significantly to the cost. If you can pave over it, your paver will remove the asphalt several feet in front of the garage so that he can blend in the surface to meet your garage floor - the extent of this removal will depend upon the grade of your lot. Let your paver make the call about paving over - he has the experience

Good luck.
Ray

Ken Garlock
03-22-2005, 6:09 PM
Hi Brian. Down here, 40 miles north of Dallas, quotes for asphalt drives are right around $1.00/sq-ft. That includes site prep. IF you need the old drive removed, that could add to the price, but it should not add $2 dollars. I would definitely keep checking around. To me 3-5 dollars seems very high. Of course my only frame of reference is here where I live.

Kurt Strandberg
03-22-2005, 8:10 PM
I am in Minnesota also and I just got a quote for 1485 sq ft and it was $2000.00 about $1.30 sq ft, my wife talked to them so i dontknow what base they do first or how they compact it, i do have another company coming for another bid, they did the part of my driveway, and they put down a few inches of recycled concrete then compact it then come back the next day and lay the asphalt. I'll post the price of that when i get it.

Kurt

John Shuk
03-22-2005, 8:16 PM
I could get binder put down for about $1.20 sqft around here I don't think topcoat is that much more. Asphalt prices are directly related to oil prices so it could be a little more. When you estimates make sure you compare apples to apples as everyone does not do the same quality job. try to ask them to be specific about what they will do. Good Luck.
John

Jim Becker
03-22-2005, 8:17 PM
The base is also key to a long-life...if they didn't take it down to stable soil before putting down the coarse and then finer stone, compacting in the process...it's gonna move like crazy from both weight and weather. That's even important for loose stone driveways!

Tony Falotico
03-22-2005, 8:21 PM
Keep in mind that asphalt is a petroleum byproduct, and like all petroleum products the cost is skyrocketing. We are having MAJOR cost overruns on roadway projects due to materials cost going up.

Also, as stated above make sure you get the structural problems resolved before painting it black. Concrete is a rigid pavement, Asphalt is flexible pavement.

Hal Flynt
03-23-2005, 5:47 PM
I cought a crew in my neighborhood and thay did a small section for me for less than if they had brought the equipment out just for my job. It costs to move that equipment in.

Brian Shutter
03-24-2005, 8:42 AM
Wow, thanks for all the info! It's always nice to get more than expected.

I've got some drainage issues near the garage where there should be a gutter. That may be causing some of the sinking problem.

I've got mud squeezing through the cracks in the area where the driveway is breaking up. It seems as though there was never any sort of drainage material in that area.

Now I feel fairly comfortable with the information so that I can start the process. Thanks again!

Kurt, I'm interested to hear how things are working out with your driveway. I'm in Maple Grove so we're in the same general area. It's good to know I might not have to spend an arm and a leg.

Brian

Kurt Strandberg
03-25-2005, 8:22 PM
I am in Minnesota also and I just got a quote for 1485 sq ft and it was $2000.00 about $1.30 sq ft, my wife talked to them so i dontknow what base they do first or how they compact it, i do have another company coming for another bid, they did the part of my driveway, and they put down a few inches of recycled concrete then compact it then come back the next day and lay the asphalt. I'll post the price of that when i get it.

Kurt

I have my second quote now, it is for 4" base of crushed recycled concrete and compacted and the 3" finished thickness of asphalt for $1.65 sq ft or $2450.25 for 1485 sq ft.

If we do it we will go with this bid, I like there quality of work.

Kurt

Brian Shutter
03-28-2005, 8:02 AM
I have my second quote now, it is for 4" base of crushed recycled concrete and compacted and the 3" finished thickness of asphalt for $1.65 sq ft or $2450.25 for 1485 sq ft.

If we do it we will go with this bid, I like there quality of work.

Kurt

Kurt

Thanks for the info. Now I have a good starting point. Good luck.

Brian.

Steve Ash
03-31-2005, 2:51 PM
I've been asked to give bids on concrete driveways here in south central Michigan, Last year I was pricing them at $2.00 per square foot at 4" of depth on a well compacted surface. $2.25 for mesh. I am sure I will be raising the price for this year since everything else has gone up.

Bob Weisner
03-31-2005, 3:10 PM
Instead of blacktopping the driveway, have you thought of using another type material? I have seen a few driveways made using brick instead of blacktop. Looks good and should last much longer than blacktop.

Thanks,

Bob

Brian Shutter
03-31-2005, 5:27 PM
Instead of blacktopping the driveway, have you thought of using another type material? I have seen a few driveways made using brick instead of blacktop. Looks good and should last much longer than blacktop.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob

If I had more money I would consider anything but asphalt. My neighbors put in a new driveway last fall using pavers. It looks very nice. If I was more ambitious I suppose I could do it myself. In my opinion, even concrete looks nicer than blacktop. It all comes down to money at this point. Thanks.

Brian

Brian Shutter
03-31-2005, 5:31 PM
I've been asked to give bids on concrete driveways here in south central Michigan, Last year I was pricing them at $2.00 per square foot at 4" of depth on a well compacted surface. $2.25 for mesh. I am sure I will be raising the price for this year since everything else has gone up.

Steve,

If I could get my driveway done with concrete and mesh for $2.25/sq ft I would do that instead. I had no idea the costs were that close. I'll have to consider concrete now. I just assumed it was out of my price range. Thanks.

Brian

Bob Weisner
03-31-2005, 6:17 PM
One other option is using a fancy colored crushed stone for the driveway. I saw a new driveway put in last year and they used some sort of stone in their driveway that was colored red or burgandy. Looked good and I think it would be cheaper than blacktop. It could either be spread from the delivery truck or dumped in one spot and the homeowner could spread the crushed stone .

Bob