PDA

View Full Version : DMT Diamond Wave or Diamond Honing Cones

Jim Neeley
02-27-2012, 1:16 AM
Does anyone here have experience with the diamond wave or diamond honing cones? With a diamond grit and in- and out-radius's from 1/16" to 1" it looked almost like a tool*. Does it work well for things like hollows, beading and other molding-type planes?

* Paraphrased from Chris Schwarz's description of BBS "tools". <g>

http://www.dmtsharp.com/sharpeners/bench-stones/diamond-wave-and-honing-cones/

Jim in Alaska

Jim Koepke
02-27-2012, 12:44 PM
I looked at conical sharpening stones at one time and tried to figure how you could use anymore than a very small area to sharpen a gouge or shaped blade without changing the profile.

Slip stones of different sizes and radii seem to work okay for me for plane blades and in cannel gouges.

jtk

Jim Neeley
02-29-2012, 12:55 AM
Thank you for your insight, Jim! :)

Jerry Thompson
02-29-2012, 9:59 AM
I have a "Wave" of DMT or other manufacturer and I find it about useless. As Jim observed one can only use just a little area to hone a rounded object such as a chisel.
Keep your money.
JT

David Weaver
02-29-2012, 10:16 AM
I have never been inclined to buy one, partly because I already have slips and a powered strop for gouges.

Partly because I don't like the finish diamond leaves with deep grooves, i'd rather not have those to remove in carving tools.

Partly because I don't like to use diamonds long term for honing, it seems like they are the price of permanent stones, but their sharpening properties at any given time are transient.

I would much rather have an india slip and hard trans slip and a couple of powered wheels (one flat, one V shaped) for carving tools.