PDA

View Full Version : Any glass experts here?

Scott Shepherd
02-26-2012, 7:50 PM
We bought a used truck for work not too long ago and the first day I had it, I took it to a car wash at a gas station. They used that tricolor foamy gunk that they spray all over. I didn't think much about it.

I put brand new, higher end wiper blades on it right after that too.

When it rains, I can't see a thing. There appears to be a film on the windows I can't get off. If you look at the "pattern" that it smears, the pattern looks just like the foam droplets from the car wash. In fact, the pattern on the back truck window is one that's long and thin, like soap hitting a vertical surface. It's awful. I mean awful. It's so bad at night, you literally can't drive the truck in rain at night. The smear reflects the light so bad, you can't see through the glass. In the day, it's really bad too. You can't see a thing while driving in the rain.

I've tried alcohol, paint thinner, paint reducer, chemicals made specifically to remove waxes and silicones, window cleaners with ammonia, Krud Kutter, and just about anything else I can find in the shop or on a shelf. Nothing phases it even remotely.

The fact that it looks just like the soap pattern from the car wash makes be believe it was done there.

My parents took their car through the same car wash, different dates, and they have the same exact issue.

I stopped and spoke to a glass guy putting in a windshield near work one day and he said it was the hot wax from the car wash and anything that removes hard water spots should do it. I tried that and got nothing.

I can't imagine having to put new glass all the way around the truck to resolve it, but I certainly can't find anything that will remotely make a dent into this issue.

Anyone got any ideas? The 2 photos below are what it looks like when driving at night in the rain. If you look close, you can see the pattern.

Sorry for the photos being rotated. They are straight on my computer, but rotated here and I'm not sure how to correct that, since they are straight on my computer :)

Greg Peterson
02-26-2012, 8:14 PM
Try Bon Ami or Bar Keepers friend. Get a damp sponge, put some Bon Ami on it, work it into a paste, then apply it to the windshield in a small circular motion. Rinse the windshield really well.

Bon Ami and Bar Keepers Friend will not scratch glass.

Kevin W Johnson
02-26-2012, 8:20 PM
It sounds as though the hot wax has etched/damaged a coating on the glass. Many manufacturers use coatings that reduce UV rays to lower inside temps and sun fade/damage to the interior. There is a glass polish, Cerium Oxide, being a popular one that may work for this, but I can't say for sure as I've never experienced this myself. I think I'd contact the owner of the car wash ASAP for some resolution to this matter. Knowing someone else that used the same car wash and having the same problem strengthens your case. The owner of the car wash may know what needs to be done as well.

With all you've tried, polish sounds like the likely route, as it's clear that the glass itself is clean.

Van Huskey
02-26-2012, 8:21 PM
Try Bon Ami or Bar Keepers friend. Get a damp sponge, put some Bon Ami on it, work it into a paste, then apply it to the windshield in a small circular motion. Rinse the windshield really well.

Bon Ami and Bar Keepers Friend will not scratch glass.

Agreed. Amway used to sell a paste "abrasive" glass cleaner, works the same way. I think that is only Amway product I have ever bought.

As an aside I used to use Rain-X window treatment and loved it but became convinced it accelerated the wear of wipers. I don't know if it was causal or merely a correlation but when I quick the wipers went back to lasting as I expected.

Kevin W Johnson
02-26-2012, 8:38 PM
As an aside I used to use Rain-X window treatment and loved it but became convinced it accelerated the wear of wipers. I don't know if it was causal or merely a correlation but when I quick the wipers went back to lasting as I expected.

While I'm old enough to remember cars that "parked" the wipers off of the windshield, I wasn't old enough to drive at that time. I still find myself thinking that helped wipers last longer. Being that wipers maintain contact with the windshield even when parked nowadays, seems it would have a negative effect on them. The wiper lays on hot glass in the summer (ever notice the curved wiping edge on old blades?), and the tension arms never get to relax. Aside from that wipers are a prime example of an item that is designed and engineered to fail.

Scott Shepherd
02-26-2012, 8:50 PM
Thanks, I'll start there and report back!

Keith Westfall
02-26-2012, 9:42 PM
I've used toothpaste with lots of water to polish both plexiglass and glass. Always use Crest because of the super fine abrasive in it.

Brian Elfert
02-26-2012, 10:09 PM
I have a similar problem after going through a car wash. My problems doesn't seem quite as bad as yours. I bought some stuff that is supposed to remove water spots, but the problem is still there, but not quite as bad as before. My next plan of action is to replace the wiper blades.

Dan Hintz
02-27-2012, 8:12 AM
It sounds as though the hot wax has etched/damaged a coating on the glass.
I agree it's an issue with wax, but I don't believe there's any damage. You'll get the same effect if you try to wax your windshield, ala poor-man's Rain-X (DAMHIKT). Try giving it several good scrubs with some alcohol (keep that away from your wiper blades) and see if that helps clear it up. It will disappear over time, regardless.

Rick Moyer
02-27-2012, 9:49 AM
I would HIGHLY doubt the stuff from the car wash is the problem. Probably hundreds of cars a week thru the same car wash. All of them have the problem? Very unlikely.

I would suspect maybe a pitted windshield which will make anything on it get into pores and stay there, at least not easily removed by the wipers. "bought a used truck.....first day I had it.." makes me think there IS a problem with the windshield like pitting. I cannot get the windshield real clean on my dump truck because it has basically been sandblasted over the years (910,000 miles). I think the best solution would be to replace the windshield. I don't believe it's from the car wash foam.

Greg Peterson
02-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Rick - The pitted windshield theory is legitimate. We don't know how many miles Scott's truck has, or whether the windshield has a lot of miles on it. But a pitted windshield is problematic and usually resists many ''restoration" techniques. Not to mention it doesn't do the wipers any favors.

For the ultimate in glass friendly abrasive - polishing - I will use 0000# steel wool with Bon Ami. For day to day polishing I just use a sponge with Bon Ami.

Scott Shepherd
02-27-2012, 10:34 AM
It's not a pitting problem. You can see the pattern on the window. Pitting doesn't make a pattern like soap foam. If you look at the back glass, which is completely vertical, it has the same pattern, but they are longer, like if you dripped soap onto a vertical surface. If it was pitting, it wouldn't be on the side and back glass, it would only be on the front glass. Also, it wouldn't explain how my parents car ended up with the same thing on all windows, not just the front glass, all in the same time frame.

John Lohmann
02-27-2012, 12:13 PM
Old fashioned Glass Wax?

Joe Angrisani
02-27-2012, 12:51 PM
....I put brand new, higher end wiper blades on it right after that too.....

Exactly which blades? Whole blades, or replacement inserts/refills?

Scott Shepherd
02-27-2012, 1:40 PM
Some bosch blades that were about $18 each.

Joe Angrisani
02-27-2012, 1:47 PM
Well that's not it. Seen many crappy brands and gimmicks over the years. Just wanted to eliminate a possibility.

Kevin W Johnson
02-27-2012, 2:23 PM
I agree it's an issue with wax, but I don't believe there's any damage. You'll get the same effect if you try to wax your windshield, ala poor-man's Rain-X (DAMHIKT). Try giving it several good scrubs with some alcohol (keep that away from your wiper blades) and see if that helps clear it up. It will disappear over time, regardless.

I'm eagerly awaiting how he resolves this. I can imagine with all the things he's tried cleaning the windshield with, that if it were simply a film of wax, he wouldn't have removed it already.

Scott Shepherd
02-27-2012, 5:01 PM
No luck with the Bon Ami. After scrubbing it around for a few minutes, I wiped it off, then sprayed water on it to finish wiping it off. As I wiped the water off with a paper towel, you could see the pattern form in the light as the thin film of water evaporated. Once dry, the pattern is gone, but that's the problem, it only appears when there a thin film of water on the window.

So no luck with Bon Ami :( Bar Keepers Friend was right next to it, so I bought that too. I'll give that a try next.

I don't know what it is or what happened, but whatever it is, it's really tough.

ray hampton
02-27-2012, 5:08 PM
did anyone mention cleaning the inside of the windshield and windows,I am afraid that I forgot what I clean my windshield with

Jim Rimmer
02-27-2012, 8:53 PM
Don't know if it will help your problem but I used to clean my car windows with crumpled up newspaper. Maybe brown paper bags - they polish a wood finish. :)

Marty Paulus
02-28-2012, 9:10 AM
What about trying a buffer with a polishing compound like FinessiT by 3M? We use it on the boats to polish the gel coat and clear coat on the cars. Do not use rubbing compound as it is too coarse.

Dan Hintz
02-28-2012, 10:28 AM
I take it the alcohol didn't work for you?

Kevin Stanbary
02-28-2012, 1:22 PM
Griot's Garage has a number of glass cleaning products as well as some polishes. I've had good luck with their products in the past. Might be worth it to call them with your problem and see if they can recommend something.

Scott Shepherd
02-28-2012, 6:28 PM
Dan, the alcohol didn't phase it either.

Here's a photo of the back window, first thing in the morning with dew or frost or something on it. Notice the pattern. Long patterns, like foamy soap that hit it from being dropped from above. Compare that to the pattern on the front glass I posted earlier and you'll see a pattern that is much shorter, like foamy soap dropped on a more horizontal surface.

When the windows are defrosted, you can't see any of these patterns I'm showing photos of. They are nice and clear when there is no water on them.

Walter Plummer
02-28-2012, 6:35 PM
MY grandfather was cab driver and swore by Coke and newsprint to clean anything off a windshield. That said, windshields and newsprint are different now.:rolleyes: I put Rain-x on when the glass was to hot and made a streaked mess. The Rain-x website said to use Soft Scrub to remove it and it worked. My last shot I saw on one of the car shows on tv. http://www.autogeek.net/dia-glass-clay.html I have not used the product yet but I plan on it when it warms up some. Good luck.

Scott Shepherd
02-28-2012, 7:39 PM
I've tried Coke several times. No luck.

Kevin W Johnson
02-28-2012, 11:53 PM
I think it's safe to say you've thoroughly covered the "cleaning" aspect. I really can't imagine that it's any kind of a film or wax that remains on the glass. Wax simply isn't that durable on a non-porous surface. I can't help but think that maybe the mixture strength at the car wash was too strong and it has damaged a UV coating on the glass. What have you tried in the way of polishes? I'd try some plastic polish, or another thing that i use on plastic which is Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish. It's fine enough to shine and restore plastic, so it shouldn't scratch.

Have you contacted the car wash?

Chuck Wintle
02-29-2012, 8:49 AM
maybe the glass was slightly etched? i know the eastwood auto (online) sell a glass polishing kit.

Gary Redden
02-29-2012, 9:05 AM
When I used to detail cars in my younger days, we would scrape the windows on them with a razor blade. It would always remove any hard water spots and any other "stuff" that was on them to include rain-x. You would be really surprised how good a just it does. That is what I would do.

Gary

Kevin W Johnson
03-06-2012, 12:36 AM
Scott,

Any luck on this?

Brian Ashton
03-06-2012, 3:44 AM
Acetone pretty much removes anything.

Phil Thien
03-06-2012, 9:04 AM
I'd take some good, clear, packing tape and stick it to a spot on the window when it is dry. Then I'd pull it off. I'd try this on the same spot a few times with new pieces of tape. Then I'd apply a mist of water and take another look and see if the pattern has changed at all.

Kevin W Johnson
07-27-2012, 2:21 PM
Scott,

What ever became of this?

Sean Hughto
07-27-2012, 2:30 PM
How about a Mr Clean "Magic Eraser." That thing has worked some magic for me before on a few things.

Jerome Stanek
07-27-2012, 2:52 PM
use Ammonia water to wash mine no film

Scott Shepherd
07-27-2012, 3:24 PM
Scott,

What ever became of this?

Believe it or not, lady luck stepped in. I was riding down the road and had someone in the passenger seat and they said "how long has that crack been in the window?". I said "What crack, what are you talking about?". They said "Right there, behind the mirror". Sure enough, it was a 6" long crack that my mirror was blocking from my view. Two days later, it was across 1/2 the windshield. So it was replaced.

I've tried about everything recommended on this thread and every "sure fire" method from anyone that has ever mentioned it, and it won't come off the back window. It's apparently etched into the glass and all the cleaner in the world won't correct that.

So the front windshield is clean and clear, the back still has the mess on it.

I haven't run it through a car wash, and won't now because I'm not risking etching the new glass just to test the theory.