PDA

View Full Version : Dyed Beech

Baxter Smith
02-26-2012, 7:24 PM
Got a call from my sister in-law last spring about some trees that were being taken down by the dam of a local pond. It was all going to become firewood, but the trimmers said I could have a few pieces to turn. By the time I got there, most had been hauled away and all that was left were some limbs. That may have been a good thing. :rolleyes: Everything else had been loaded into a dump truck. Each of the trunk sections in the back of that truck was about 4 feet long and at least 3 feet in diameter.Roughed out half a dozen bowls, a couple of hollowforms and platters. These are the first two to be finished. The outline of the band was burned with a wire then dyed with blue transtint. Not even absorption but it adds a bit of color.2253262253272253282253292253309 ¼ x 2 ¾ for the short one. 8 3/4x 3 ¾ for the taller. Both are about ½” at the rim then undercut to 5/16”. The shorter one has two coats of AO and taller has two coats of walnut oil. I think both roughouts looked pretty much the same to start so found it interesting that the color is so different. Comments and suggestions are always welcome!

Peter Elliott
02-26-2012, 7:39 PM
Nice Baxter. How did you get the dye to not bleed?

John Keeton
02-26-2012, 7:46 PM
Nice form on the bowls, Baxter, but, then, yours always are!! The beech should have turned like butter from what little I have worked with it in flat work. I like the rim detail.

Peter, burning the outline with the wire will prevent the dye from migrating past the burn - sorry, Baxter - should have let you answer.

Peter Elliott
02-26-2012, 7:56 PM
Peter, burning the outline with the wire will prevent the dye from migrating past the burn - sorry, Baxter - should have let you answer.

Thanks, I didn't see that line but now do. Have to try that myself. Gotta love the smell of burning wood!

Steve Vaughan
02-26-2012, 8:46 PM
WOW! I like that! Such a great, clean looking and simple bowl, but the rim treatment really sets it all off in my opinion. Really nice!

charlie knighton
02-26-2012, 8:48 PM
very nice, both are nice but partial to the shorter one for no apparent reasons, like the blue bands

Bernie Weishapl
02-26-2012, 8:53 PM
Those are beauties Baxter. I do like the dyed rim and see you burned a line to keep it from bleeding.

Doug Herzberg
02-26-2012, 9:10 PM
The dyed bands really set these off. I like the smooth texture inside. It's perfect for the beech.

Jim Burr
02-26-2012, 9:29 PM
That's sweet Baxter! I'm thinking about reversing the bands...hmmm! Great job on the details!

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-26-2012, 9:30 PM
Bax,
The dye looks nice but I was most impressed at how well you shaped your continuous curve inside the bowl. Looks like a perfect hero cut, rim to center, nonstop.
faust

Doug W Swanson
02-26-2012, 11:26 PM
Great looking bowls, Baxter. I actually like the uneven staining on them. It makes them look sort of rustic...

Dan Forman
02-27-2012, 4:41 AM
Great looking pair of bowls. I thought beech was a more open grained wood, similar to oak. Is that just the European version, or am I way off base?

Dan

Baxter Smith
02-27-2012, 9:23 AM
Thanks for commenting!

.....I actually like the uneven staining on them. It makes them look sort of rustic...
I don't mind it especially either Doug and don't notice it as much as in the pictures. Gives them, the "looks like I made them" appearance.;):)

Great looking pair of bowls. I thought beech was a more open grained wood, similar to oak. Is that just the European version, or am I way off base?

Dan
Thanks Dan. Not sure about the European beech but I would imagine it is quite similar to the American.

That's sweet Baxter! I'm thinking about reversing the bands...hmmm! Great job on the details!
Jim, I am assuming you are thinking a double band of color separated by clear wood? I think that would look good since I prefer the narrower line. You would still need a burned line to contain the dye. The problem would be in not contaminating any undyed area since I have not tried to mask anything off. It would double your chance for "accidents"!:)