PDA

View Full Version : Can I rub out water based Poly?

Randy Gazda
02-26-2012, 6:39 PM
I posted previously about the bad can of Minwax Water Based Poly aersol that I got. However, I have 3 coats of brushed on and two coats of sprayed on, this toy chest. I have some bumps and dips due to the aerosol can that kept spitting "snot bubbles" on to the surface. Now that it has cured, can I rub it out (I have limited finishing experience). I have wet/dry paper from 220-1000, with mineral oil, then wax?.

This is a toy chest so I am just trying for a smooth even finish.

Advice?

Barry Richardson
02-26-2012, 7:02 PM
Randy, sorry I dont have an answer but thanks for asking the question, Im curious about this as well, maybe someone with experience will chime in...

Scott Holmes
02-26-2012, 10:32 PM
Yes you can rub it out with out issue.

One tip I'll pass on... if you have large drips or foreign objects in the top coat use either a hand scraper or a razor knife blade held straight up and down and use it as a scraper. Works very well to level the surface. Another option is to use a blade from a carpert knife , their very flexible; be careful and put tape on the opposite edge as these are double edged scraping wonders.

Randy Gazda
02-26-2012, 11:15 PM
Scott:

Can you give me some advice on rubbing this out? Mineral oil and fine wet/dry paper ? Then wax? Water based is all new to me thanks. Most of the drips are pretty minor, mostly they reflect light different than the rest of the finish. I don't think it will take much to flatten it but I am unsure what to do after that.

Thanks.

Yes you can rub it out with out issue.

One tip I'll pass on... if you have large drips or foreign objects in the top coat use either a hand scraper or a razor knife blade held straight up and down and use it as a scraper. Works very well to level the surface. Another option is to use a blade from a carpert knife , their very flexible; be careful and put tape on the opposite edge as these are double edged scraping wonders.