PDA

View Full Version : Walnut oil

Mike Willeson
02-26-2012, 4:39 PM
Just picked up my first bottle of Mahoney's Walnut oil to try on a few bowls or spoons. Limited directions on the bottle or web site.

For those who use it, please describe your technique, number of coats, etc.

Thanks!

Don McClure
02-26-2012, 5:30 PM
I use it on all my utensil bowls. Just apply with a cloth off the lathe after you have finished sanding and signed your work. I take about 10 minutes to apply it letting it soak in. Then I let it sit for about 20 minutes then wipe the residual off. It will take a couple of days to dry. Then I wax with Mahoney's beeswax-walnut oil wax and I'm done. Occasionally I will do a second coat in a couple of days if the wood appears to need it. Mike M. says only one ocat is needed.

Ted Calver
02-26-2012, 5:51 PM
Depends on the wood. For cherry, I put on a nice wet coat and let it soak in for half an hour. Then rub in another light coat and let it dry overnight. I usually let the piece dry for a couple more weeks and then lightly wax and hand buff it with a mixture made of four parts mahoney's and one part beeswax warmed carefully in the microwave then allowed to harden. I've heard others say that sunlight speeds the cure.

Bernie Weishapl
02-26-2012, 9:14 PM
I usually flood the first coat and let it sit for 20 minutes. If there are any dry spots I will flood those again. Once the whole piece has stayed wet for 20 minutes I wipe down. After drying for 24 hrs I apply a second coat letting it sit for 20 minute. I wipe down and let dry for 24 hrs. I use the Mahoney wax/walnut oil. After it dries for 24 hrs I buff down with a soft cloth. After talking with Mike Mahoney at a demo he said indirect sunlight will speed the cure. I generally let it sit in indirect sunlight for a week or two. He said you can use them within a day or two but said it didn't hurt to let them dry for a week or two at warm room temp in the sunlight. He did say if you put them directly in the sunlight they could bleed and you would have to wipe them down. He also said one coat is good but a second coat doesn't hurt. Our son has been using salad bowls I made for them over two years ago. We just reapplied walnut oil to renew the finish.

Reed Gray
02-27-2012, 11:32 AM
If I could do it the way I wanted, I would have a vat of it kept at about 80 to 90 degrees, and soak them, then drip dry, place on a wire rack with a low wattage incandescent bulb under them for a week or so, then wipe off.

robo hippy

John King
02-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Checkout video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z89dvLd5k0&list=UUUiNxfgfVOD4cfrgm6EQanw&index=38&feature=plcp. - John