PDA

View Full Version : Altar finished just in time.

Cliff Polubinsky
02-26-2012, 4:07 PM
Put the last coat of finish on it Friday evening and the church dedication was Saturday afternoon.

Besides the veneering, which is only my second veneered piece, the other challenging part was to make the altar height adjustable. We have some clergy in wheelchairs and the altar needed to be able to lower about 3" for them.

I managed to come up with a solution that was simple and easy to install. The bottom legs are hollow and there are smaller legs attached to the top which fit into the lower legs. I attached a 3" block to the inside of the apron by each leg with a hinge.

If you lift the top up and swing the block in, it goes between the top of the bottom leg and the bottom of the top. If you swing the block out the top lowers 3" and sits on the top of the bottom legs. Easy, uncomplicated and didn't take a bunch of detailed measurements to make it work.

I'm looking forward to saying Mass on it next Sunday. It's about 4 times bigger than the temporary altar we've been using. So now I don't have to worry about my Liturgy Book falling off the edge.

Now I can take a few days off before starting the next project - An Easter candle stand. At least I have a few weeks to get that one done and it will be a lot easier.

Cliff

frank shic
02-26-2012, 4:11 PM
beautiful job

Sam Murdoch
02-26-2012, 4:39 PM
Looks very solid and well made - and not ostentatious - that's a good thing. :)
Clever solution for height adjustment - two person job?
Wondering what you used for the substrate.
Anyway - nicely done!

Cliff Polubinsky
02-26-2012, 4:58 PM
Looks very solid and well made - and not ostentatious - that's a good thing. :)
Clever solution for height adjustment - two person job?
Wondering what you used for the substrate.
Anyway - nicely done!

Three person job. Two to lift the top and one to flip blocks. But then, Liturgy is always a community celebration.

Substrate is 3/4" plywood.

Cliff

Sam Murdoch
02-26-2012, 5:02 PM
Three person job. Two to lift the top and one to flip blocks. But then, Liturgy is always a community celebration.

Substrate is 3/4" plywood.

Cliff

I knew you had friends :).

Underside is veneered too I hope.

Ole Anderson
02-27-2012, 12:45 AM
Very nice Cliff. Walnut? What did you use for a finish? I might just have to put an Altar and Lectern on my bucket list, been in the back of my mind since I retired.

Cliff Polubinsky
02-27-2012, 5:52 AM
Very nice Cliff. Walnut? What did you use for a finish? I might just have to put an Altar and Lectern on my bucket list, been in the back of my mind since I retired.Ole,It's walnut, bloodwood, maple and curly maple. Finish is wipe-on poly. I had a few tense moments during the dedication when the archbishop poured chrism on the top and spread it all over but it held up fine.Cliff

Don Morris
02-27-2012, 6:01 AM
Just think what would have happened if you didn't get through on time? I do church lock up every night (starts at 10:00pm) for a week at a time two weeks a year. As I go through the church I see lots of woodworking projects that need doing. So far I've been able to keep my mouth shut.