PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for a Bandsaw.....

Bill ThompsonNM
02-26-2012, 12:45 PM
As some of you know.. I recently acquired a Laguna LT18 bandsaw for the great price of $850. It was cheap, because it had been knocked over on the motor which then bent the motor mount portion of the steel frame. Yikes, bet you hadn't added that to your list of equipment worries! I suspect knocking it over probably involved a fork lift and a wide load.. so most of our workshops won't qualify. Anyway after some work and some help from a number of people it is now up and running! Here's where the thanks come in..... Thanks to the following: to the LOML who indulges me in these purchases, and realizes that at least I go only for good equipment at great prices. To Ed at LaPlata millworks in Mancos, CO who not only sold me the saw but held it for about 5 weeks on good faith over Christmas based on my emails alone despite additional interest from other local parties (I'm 5 hours away!) To Frank and his boss at Customer Service at Laguna, who replied to all of my questions promptly even before I saw the bandsaw, convincing me that it was repairable. To our own Bruce Page, machinist extraordinaire who spent a couple of hours with me while he machined a motor mounting plate from some 3/8 inch aluminum plate I located on that big auction site. So my total cost was $850 for the bandsaw, $35 for the plate $40 for a new electrical junction box for the saw.. A total of $925 for an LT18 upgraded to the new blade guides with the mobility kit, with 14 blades, 11 recently sharpened and 3 new including a Laguna Resaw King! Here's some pictures: One of the motor mount plate.. one with the motor mounted. One with the bandsaw on arrival and one with it functional with a boatload of blades hanging on the wall. Now I need to get my shop completed so I'll have room to move the saw out where I can use it.

Bruce Page
02-26-2012, 4:39 PM
Glad that the plate worked out for you Bill. That’s a sweet bandsaw for a great price!

Van Huskey
02-26-2012, 5:28 PM
You got a killer deal! Kudos to Bruce and all the Creekers that are always willing to help!

Bill ThompsonNM
02-27-2012, 12:28 AM
And please note, through acquaintances from Sawmill creek I saved Beaucoup $ and can easily afford to contribute $6/yr for the next 20 years. Maybe we should talk about lifetime or multiyear memberships ?
And for those of you reluctant to travel for tools-- a 5 hour drive turned into bonus points with the LOML with a dinner out, nice motel and interesting places to visit in Cortez Colo. win-win!