PDA

View Full Version : Preval Sprayer- anyone tried this?

Doug Fries
02-26-2012, 10:26 AM
It seems like there are always small projects that I would rather spray but the time it takes to clean out a spray gun or an airbrush usually has me opting for an easier method that involves less clean-up. Especially small turnings, that would take less than a minute to spray each coat with a finish (times 6 or 8 coats), or when dyeing a a project where you need to change colors 2 or three times.
This was recommended to me by a member of our turning club. He claims it does a good job of spraying.
I wondered if anyone here has tried this system and can offer up any feed back.

http://www.preval.com/what-is-preval

Richard Allen
02-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Looks like a good system if you were going to be spraying a large variety of finishes and such. $7 for each "can" which doesn't include the finish seams like a lot. Wouldn't it be better to find a rattle can finish that you like and use that instead?

Larry Pickering
02-26-2012, 12:23 PM
I have been using Preval's for years, (it's easy to take one out of stock) they work OK for small jobs, works like a spray can.

Thomas Hotchkin
02-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Doug
I have used them for years off & on. Good for thin products, limited on viscosity of product. Easy to clean. I was not paying for them, so no idea how cost effect they are. They do have a screen on pickup, but you still need to run your product through some type screen or filter. Tom

Darryl Hansen
02-26-2012, 1:21 PM
Not familiar with this sprayer. The "Critter" ( about $50 on amazon) is an easy to use system. Easy to clean just attach a mason jar with acetone or lacquer and spray it through. Put a lid on the jar of whatever you are spraying and it keeps. For "Deft" lacquer at $15 gal from Lowes you can do a bunch of turnings. Need a compressor that will give 40# for the deft stuff. Thicker finish material needs more pressure.

Baxter Smith
02-26-2012, 8:08 PM
I have used it for spraying 2 part epoxy paint on some fiberglass work I did on a boat and it worked well. I have thought about trying it with some transtint dye but have yet to attempt it.

Carl Civitella
02-26-2012, 8:32 PM
I looked over their site, and it does not say what advantage it has over the rattle cans. One advantage i see is you can use the color you are working on and not go on a hunt to find a rattle can to match, which probably won`t. I may try it, it is not a big cost. Carl

Steve Mawson
02-26-2012, 9:12 PM
I could not get it to spray lacquer this winter. Thinned it several times but not too satisfied. Don't know it it would have helped to bring inside to warm the lacquer to room temp.

Doug Fries
02-28-2012, 8:21 AM
Thanks to all for your feedback. I think I will give it a try. I think it might be perfect for spraying various colors of dye.(& other things)