PDA

View Full Version : Best Cabinet Making Book

Robert Murphy
02-26-2012, 8:12 AM
Do any of you have any recommendation on a good cabinet book? I am looking for some detailed information via a book, video, or both. I can base my purchase off of reviews, but sometimes they don't tell the whole story, or there is not enough reviewers to make an accurate account.

frank shic
02-26-2012, 9:52 AM
danny proulx's is the easiest and has cut lists. tolpin's is a classic on face frame. udo schmidt's not bad either. some people like lang's. if you're a total beginner i recommend danny's book.

Paul DeCarlo
02-26-2012, 10:21 AM
These are my 3 must haves:

Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking

The Encyclopedia of Furniture Making by Ernest Joyce

Understanding Wood by Bruce Hoadley

These are the next 3 I really, really like (more for inspiration):

A Cabinetmakers Notebook by James Krenov

The Soul of a Tree by George Nakashima

Sam Maloof: Woodworker

If you looking for something to explain commercial cabinet making try:

Building Traditional Kitchen Cabinets by Jim Tolpin

Robert Murphy
02-26-2012, 10:51 AM
Thanks guys. I picked up Tolpin's book. I'll probably order another. $20 or so goes a long way in the way of time and developing good habits or technique.

Bob Lloyd
02-26-2012, 12:29 PM
I am trying to get ready to build my kitchen cabinets. As a recommendation, I would note that it would depend on some degree on what type of cabinets you were intending to build. I have the books by Jim Tolpin, Udo Schmidt and Bob Lang and have read Danny Proulx's. You will pick up something different from all of them. For me, the best is Bob Lang's "The Complete Kitchen Cabinetmaker". If you are contemplating building a complete kitchen, I believe that it is worth investing in two, three or four books, these are tools as much as any piece of equipment that you may own, and a whole lot cheaper! Don't forget the amount of information and advice that is available on line. Good luck.

Neil Brooks
02-26-2012, 1:04 PM
I've built up an impressive collection of used WW books, for cheap.

One more reco, then:

Bill Hylton's "Illustrated Cabinetmaking: How to Design and Construct Furniture That Works." It's from American Woodworker, and will cover more than just cabinetry, if you find that useful, over time. Clear, concise, crisp, well illustrated.

Good luck !

frank shic
02-26-2012, 4:16 PM
hylton's books are great and i loved looking at all the different cabinets from all different eras in that one

Bruce Wrenn
02-26-2012, 7:10 PM
A BIG PLUS for Danny's book. It changed the way I make cabinets.

frank shic
02-26-2012, 7:44 PM
...just please don't use exterior grade plywood for doors!