PDA

View Full Version : First HF using the Monster ( HF's just got easy )

Tom Hardy
02-25-2012, 9:23 PM
WHOA! what a difference. I had bought some sorby hollowing tools a few years back but always hated using them. When ever i tried making anything like this it would end in disaster, so I was always limited to small items like ornaments, & small boxes.The monster articulating hollowing system really makes it a whole lot easier. This is made of maple off my place 7" T x 5 1/2" W a little over an 1/8" thick, finished with blue dye & WOP.
critiques & comment welcome225184225185

Steve Schlumpf
02-25-2012, 9:29 PM
Congrats Tom! Beautiful wood and I love the color! Looking forward to seeing your next one!

Bernie Weishapl
02-25-2012, 9:32 PM
Tom that turned out to be a beauty. Really like the color and finish. Gotta love the monster.

Harry Robinette
02-25-2012, 9:41 PM
Ya the Monster is defiantly different from hand held and all the differences are on the good side.
By the way really nice HF.

David DeCristoforo
02-25-2012, 9:42 PM
Nice. I really like the proportions on this even though they are not exactly what is "in vogue". The broad base and rounded shoulder give this a "got it's feet on the ground" feeling that seems much more visually stable than the narrow, small footed designs. The color and gloss finish make it look like glass.

Tom Hardy
02-25-2012, 10:10 PM
Nice. I really like the proportions on this even though they are not exactly what is "in vogue". The broad base and rounded shoulder give this a "got it's feet on the ground" feeling that seems much more visually stable than the narrow, small footed designs. The color and gloss finish make it look like glass.

I felt after I parted it off the lathe, and first stood it up, that the base should have been smaller. I got 8 coats of WOP on it now, debating whether or not to apply a couple more coats, then hit it with the buffer. It is really smooth and glossy as is.

Baxter Smith
02-25-2012, 10:17 PM
Beautiful wood with a great finish. What kind of blue dye did you use?

Tom Hardy
02-25-2012, 10:34 PM
Beautiful wood with a great finish. What kind of blue dye did you use?

Baxter, you may laugh over this. I used food coloring, and have done so on many other items, seems to work for me, and the wife always has some in the kitchen cabinets.

Brian McInturff
02-25-2012, 10:35 PM
Tom,
I like the proportions of this piece. The base isn't too small unless you wanted it smaller. To me, smaller wouldn't have worked unless you made it slimmer from top to bottom. I love the finish on this piece too. Is the dye Mohawk transtint, RIT, or some other brand.

Ken Glass
02-25-2012, 10:41 PM
Tom,
Very nice HF. I love the color and I looked at my wife's food coloring bottles a few times and wondered how it would do. It do fine in my opinion, and I really like the effect it has on your piece. Well Done.

Steve Vaughan
02-25-2012, 10:45 PM
That's nice looking! You're right about that hollowing rig, it's a whole new world! Great HF and nice color!

Roger Chandler
02-25-2012, 10:45 PM
Really nice way to launch your monster rig..........congrats!

Rick Markham
02-26-2012, 4:29 AM
The monster is definitely sweet... So is that form, I also like it's proportions, but the little lip detail is what grabs my attention the most.

John Keeton
02-26-2012, 5:59 AM
Great work, Tom! I kind of like the more solid look with the wider base, and the color is perfect! Not sure about the long term light fastness of food coloring, but it sure achieves a nice, transparent look. Very nice finish, as well.

Rich Aldrich
02-26-2012, 4:50 PM
Nice work Tom. I like the form. The dye job is nice also.