PDA

View Full Version : Project: Latest Tack Trunk Commission 25Feb2012

Jim Becker
02-25-2012, 7:27 PM
Another nice tack trunk project finished for a woman in NJ. QSWO fields; black walnut trim. Dewaxed shellac to seal and add a little amber followed by three sprayed coats of EM6000 in satin sheen. Brass hardware from Lee Valley.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/Woodworking/Tack-Trunks/trunk-ChrissaK-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/Woodworking/Tack-Trunks/trunk-ChrissaK-21.jpg

Lori Kleinberg
02-25-2012, 9:28 PM
Very nice looking trunk, Jim. Love the contrasting woods.

lowell holmes
02-26-2012, 10:50 AM
English I presume. :)

I don't remember a Western Pleasure tack box that elegant.

Todd Burch
02-26-2012, 2:03 PM
Looks good Jim. Did you ever see the tack cabinet I made?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-26-2012, 2:08 PM
Another very well done project Jim! Love those contrasting woods.

glenn bradley
02-26-2012, 3:13 PM
Another looker. Do these travel in areas where you/board ride? That is; do you find yourself walking from one place to the other and spotting one of your trunks? Pretty fun.

Jim Becker
02-28-2012, 8:42 PM
Looks good Jim. Did you ever see the tack cabinet I made?

I don't recall seeing one, Todd, either when I visited you long ago or here online.

English I presume.

I don't remember a Western Pleasure tack box that elegant.

Well, yes, we're involved primarily in English disciplines (I train in Dressage and my younger daughter rides in Hunter divisions. Professor Dr. SWMBO and other daughter ride English, too) But honestly, nice craftsmanship fits well with any riding discipline. The key is to be sure that the storage is designed to fit the specific need.

Another very well done project Jim! Love those contrasting woods.

Thanks, Ken. I'm particularly partial to this QSWO trimmed with black walnut look and was happy when it was chosen here by the gal commissioning the work. You may recall the first one... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?137766-Project-QSWQ-Walnut-Tack-Trunk&highlight=Tack

Another looker. Do these travel in areas where you/board ride? That is; do you find yourself walking from one place to the other and spotting one of your trunks? Pretty fun.

I haven't made that many, Glenn...LOL Two are at other farms; two are at residences and two are at our barn. This one will be in North Jersey somewhere...

gary Zimmel
02-28-2012, 11:07 PM
Another fine Tack Trunk. Nice work Jim...

Melanie Rys
02-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Wow, beautiful!

Jim Becker
02-29-2012, 8:59 PM
Melanie, if you want to come down and see this before it goes out the door, let me know. Chrissa isn't picking it up until at least the weekend after this coming one.

Richard Wolf
02-29-2012, 9:28 PM
Great work Jim. Is the quarter sawn ply veneer or solid?

Paul Cahill
03-01-2012, 9:09 PM
Lovely grain and color on the top. The contrast is very striking too.

Paul

Jim Becker
03-01-2012, 9:36 PM
Great work Jim. Is the quarter sawn ply veneer or solid?

1/2" cabinet grade plywood from Industrial Plywood in Reading PA. Really nice stuff with great QS figure. About $90 a sheet and I'm happy to pay that. Especially because they deliver. :)