PDA

View Full Version : I will call it "Cherry Moon"..... Maybe

Rick Paterni
02-25-2012, 7:08 PM
Good evening! This is my 1st post on here showing some of my turnings. This is about the 20th bowl I've turned. It is from a piece of cherry burl that I harvested at my cabin. It is my 3rd natural edge bowl. These things scare me but our challenge at our next turners meeting is natural edges so what the heck. It is 10" wide about 4" tall and about 1.5" thick. I know that is thick, but I wanted to preserve the "funkyness" of the wood.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k78/hct4all/HPIM0019.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k78/hct4all/HPIM0020.jpg

Rick Paterni
02-25-2012, 7:15 PM
Sorry for another quick post. I am not used to posting pictures here. My question is how should I finish the piece. I might go through the grits again because I am chasing some tear out. Grrrrrrr.

I will post more pics when It is complete. Hopefully reverse chucking goes well
:eek:

The surface of the burl remind me of the moon.

Any comments are appriciated.

Thanks,

Rick

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k78/hct4all/HPIM0024.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k78/hct4all/HPIM0022.jpg

Jim Burr
02-25-2012, 7:46 PM
That's a big-chunk-o-cherry Rick!! Just MHO...I'd go a bit thinner. When you reverse it...make sure it stays on the spindle!! Face shield won't help much if that sukka launches!

Steve Vaughan
02-25-2012, 8:18 PM
Yah, I'd gone a tad thinner too, maybe taking more off the outside. And, maybe a little bit gradual on the sides rather than that steep. But, that's my thoughts only. If you good to go, I'm good to go! That is some really cool grain in that thing.
On cherry, I love what Watco natural DO does with it. Really brings out the grain, but I'm sure other oils do too. Two coats of DO, letting the first one dry for a day or so. Then a second coat, wet sanded with 400 to 600 paper. For a topcoat, I use a few coats of satin deft spray lacquer, buffed out with #0000 steel wool (or even sanded with 400 to 600 paper if I put that first coat on thick), then a final coat buffed out again, then wax.

Rick Paterni
02-25-2012, 9:37 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I actually measured the thickness instead of estimating and it is only 7/8". It looks thicker because of the steep sides. I agree that the sides are too steep but if I put more of a curve on it I will loose one of the sides. Hmmmmmm. I will sleep on it and work on it after church tomorrow. Have a great night.

Baxter Smith
02-25-2012, 10:23 PM
AO would work pretty well on bringing out the grain and you can control the level of gloss by the number of coats you apply.

Rick Paterni
02-25-2012, 10:29 PM
Baxter, I am not sure what an AO finish is?

Thank you!

Baxter Smith
02-25-2012, 10:50 PM
Minwax Antique Oil finish. Comes in a red can. Not a lot of stores around here carry it anymore. Ace hardware is one.

Ken Glass
02-25-2012, 10:53 PM
rick,
AO is Antique Oil. It is easy to use and finishes Cherry really well. Cherry will also turn darker with age too. I agree with what has been said about thickness, but that too will come with more experience. Well Done for a 3rd only NE.

Marty Eargle
02-26-2012, 12:10 AM
I agree with the crowd that the turning is a little thick, but also know the feeling of why you left it that way. I've had pieces similar to yours that when turned to a certain thickness, lost balance that I would have kept with a little more beef.

I'll also +1 on the use of Antique Oil. Looks real nice on cherry and usually my go to on natural edge pieces. Just be sure to apply it as instructed and watch for pooling around the edges. Its easy to get spots that are much glossier than the rest of the piece.

John Keeton
02-26-2012, 6:15 AM
I agree that the sides are too steep but if I put more of a curve on it I will loose one of the sides. Hmmmmmm. I will sleep on it and work on it after church tomorrow. Have a great night.Actually, Rick, if you take out the steep, flat area on the outside you will have an opportunity to get rid of the tearout AND improve the form. You can make the decision to reduce the diameter a little, and that will "save" the one side.

Then, you could go thinner by removing more of the inside. The close up pics are deceiving, but I would think something closer to 1/4" in thickness would really show well on this piece. Beautiful burl, BTW!!

And, glad to see you posting your work!