PDA

View Full Version : Whats rattling?

Mark Singer
03-21-2005, 11:53 PM
When the weather gets warmer we see some strangers that were hiding out all winter.....this one a rattle snake...2 years ago Java...my lab was bit by one and survived. Animal control took care of this one...he was living under the herb garden.....we saved the rattle for my wifes new guitar. I love animals...these boys mean business though...

Jerry Clark
03-22-2005, 12:12 AM
WOW Mark gotta watch where you walk! That looks like a Pacific Rattlesnake. Very deadly! I have never seen one where I live, but they are here-- Have lots of Gopher snakes. In Fact the neighbor lady called one day in a panic-She was climbing the walls- snake in the house. It was the biggest gopher snake I have ever seen. I just took a broom and directed it outside. :eek:

Michael Perata
03-22-2005, 2:32 AM
Not sure if I would rather have your rattlesnakes or my coyotes. We live at least a mile from the nearest "wilderness" but have a creek behind the house that the critters use as a highway. They manage to scare the s... out of you with their yelping and screaming at 3:00 AM.

At least the rain keeps them in the hills for awhile.

Mike Cutler
03-22-2005, 5:23 AM
Ahh... Looks like home. Don't worry Jerry you've got them. I lived in Diamond Bar, Rowland Heights,and La Habra and they had them in all those places. Doesn't surprise me to see them in Laguna at all.
As nasty as they look, you should see the big boys they have back east, they're really frightening

Jeff Sudmeier
03-22-2005, 8:21 AM
You can keep those rattles!

EEESH I hate snakes!

Dan Gill
03-22-2005, 8:37 AM
I have to know - how are you planning to use the rattle on the guitar?

Stay safe and watch your step. Rattler bites are no fun. As Java found out.

Mark Singer
03-22-2005, 8:40 AM
We have the coyotes too! Scorpions, lizards , owls, deer, rabbets, possums, acons, skunks, etc....those are my neighbors...most I love...except the rattle snakes
Not sure if I would rather have your rattlesnakes or my coyotes. We live at least a mile from the nearest "wilderness" but have a creek behind the house that the critters use as a highway. They manage to scare the s... out of you with their yelping and screaming at 3:00 AM.

At least the rain keeps them in the hills for awhile.

Lou Morrissette
03-22-2005, 9:15 AM
Mark,
Luckely the only rattling we hear on Cape Cod is the sound of the chipmunks running up and down the gutter downspouts.:D

Lou

Jim Becker
03-22-2005, 10:18 AM
We have the coyotes too! Scorpions, lizards , owls, deer, rabbets, possums, acons, skunks, etc....those are my neighbors...most I love...except the rattle snakes
Like you, they undoubtedly enjoy the view!! What's not to like? But seriously, you also have a wonderful habitat for wildlife on and around your property, both through design and through the natural state of the park that surrounds you.

Mark Singer
03-22-2005, 10:54 AM
Jim,

Your correct...but like my mother used to say..."Snakes I don't need"...she liked to say back thingwards...it familly in the runs....if you say what I'm hearing:eek:

Like you, they undoubtedly enjoy the view!! What's not to like? But seriously, you also have a wonderful habitat for wildlife on and around your property, both through design and through the natural state of the park that surrounds you.

Jim Becker
03-22-2005, 10:58 AM
Your correct...but like my mother used to say..."Snakes I don't need"...she liked to say back thingwards...it familly in the runs....if you say what I'm hearing
Hearing you I am...

David Wilson
03-22-2005, 11:37 AM
Mark
Good to eat those snakes are.

Rob Littleton
03-22-2005, 12:54 PM
There is another thread on here about home security.

Now, although I disagree with the Smith & Wesson as home security againt intruders, I would have one for occasions such as this. :-)

I am scared to death of snakes and spiders and out here, we get both.

The term, "they are good for the garden" to means translates into "they are good for the garden if you kill them and bury them, they become fertilizer".

Right there in that picture, is aiming practice.

Mark Singer
03-22-2005, 3:43 PM
Rake and shovel operation....I been doing it for 30 years!

Jason Roehl
03-22-2005, 4:30 PM
I would have one for occasions such as this. :-)
(...snip...)
Right there in that picture, is aiming practice.
Actually, a 12-, 16-, or 20-gauge with about #8 shot would be very effective and have less chance of a problematic ricochet, so would be safer in a populated or semi-populated area. Now, if you live in Montana or something like that, use a machine gun for all I care. :D

Rich Konopka
03-22-2005, 5:11 PM
I guess the snakes like the view up there overlooking the ocean. ;) The town I live in has dens of rattlesnakes and they are protected. They even have road signs that warn on Rattle Snake crossings.

Steve Clardy
03-22-2005, 5:54 PM
We have an abundance of Copperheads here. I just use an axe on them buggers.

Bob Weisner
03-22-2005, 6:03 PM
A lawn tractor works good, too!!

Bob

Frank Chaffee
03-22-2005, 6:10 PM
Hmmm…interesting. I lived on Woodlawn Ave. in ’69 and sometimes climbed up the hill to spend the night in a shallow cave overlooking Laguna Canyon Rd. Didn’t realize who I was sleeping with!

Frank

Mark Singer
03-23-2005, 9:16 AM
Frank,

Timothy Leary was your neighbor!

Hmmm…interesting. I lived on Woodlawn Ave. in ’69 and sometimes climbed up the hill to spend the night in a shallow cave overlooking Laguna Canyon Rd. Didn’t realize who I was sleeping with!

Frank

John Shuk
03-23-2005, 4:30 PM
My father was Timothy Leary's caseworker at Terminal Island. He also had G Gordon Liddy. He was assigned A thru L. He told me how Leary thought it ironic that Liddy ran him out of town when he was a prosecuter here in Poughkeepsie, NY and now they were sharing the same "accomodations.

Frank Chaffee
03-23-2005, 5:24 PM
Mark,

I knew there was something in the water.

Frank