PDA

View Full Version : New Jointer Gloat

Jefferey Scott
02-25-2012, 5:22 PM
I live 3 hours away from the Grizzly Springfield Missouri Warehouse and Showroom. I called and ordered a new G0490X 8" Jointer a few days before the trip and headed out on a Saturday morning, trailer in tow to Springfield. The showroom is huge and you can find yourself spending well over an hour there browsing the machines and tools on display.
The row of bandsaws had me drooling. Next trip one of these will be following me home.
It's always good to have a good friend help offload your new jointer. Especially since it weighs over 500 lbs!
The base of the jointer is packaged in the sturdiest cardboard box I've ever seen. It arrived home with no blemishes or dents. Perfect condition.
The jointer beds are crated in 1/2 birch ply. This section weighs just over 400 lbs. The crate was fairly easy to get into and it was strapped as well as nailed tight. It is also covered in cosmoline or some type of preservative which takes a while to wipe off. The cutterhead is the hardest area to get the gunk off of, taking care not to cut yourself while doing so.
The motor is bolted to the top of the base, which travels upside down in the box. That way all the weight is at the bottom of the box in transit.
Once assembled I lined up the motor and cutterhead pulleys and installed the belt. I couldn't get enough down force on the motor bracket to tension the belt sufficiently so I employed a little clamping pressure with a bar clamp which did the trick nicely.
Here's the fully assembled and tested jointer. I'm quite pleased with the build quality and cut quality of the spiral cutterhead. I'm glad I sprung for the extra $300 for it. It now sits in the shop with the Grizzly 15" planer I got last year. It's nice to be able to prepare my stock with the right tools. Thanks for looking!

Ronald Blue
02-25-2012, 5:35 PM
Let me be the first to say YOU SUCK!!! I am jealous of your new toy. Enjoy and congrats.

Paul McGaha
02-25-2012, 5:40 PM
Congratulations Jefferey. Fine looking jointer. No doubt a fun trip.

And Ronald is right, You suck.

PHM

Dave Aronson
02-25-2012, 5:53 PM
I agree with the others you suck.......congrats

richard poitras
02-25-2012, 6:31 PM
The showroom is huge and you can find yourself spending well over an hour there browsing the machines and tools on display.

You’re kidding right only an hour in that show room? I would be there ½ the day....

I have that same jointer you will love it.

glenn bradley
02-25-2012, 8:25 PM
Another happy owner here. congrats. Those cutters hold an edge for along time and tearout in my highly figured material is a thing of the past..

Brian Ross
02-25-2012, 11:40 PM
Congrats on your purchase. Have been to that store a few times. A nice way to break up a long drive.

Brian

Brent Romero
02-26-2012, 12:18 AM
Nice looking football helmet you have there. Geaux Saints!!

frank shic
02-26-2012, 9:56 AM
i wish i had an extra 2"... enjoy!

Neil Brooks
02-26-2012, 9:58 AM
I live 3 hours away from the Grizzly Springfield Missouri Warehouse and Showroom. I called and ordered a new G0490X 8" Jointer a few days before the trip and headed out on a Saturday morning, trailer in tow to Springfield. The showroom is huge and you can find yourself spending well over a month in there browsing the machines and tools on display.

Fixed it for you.

Since you've been told ... well ... by now, you know that you suck, but ... it was worth a subtle reminder ;)