PDA

View Full Version : Salt and Pepper Mill Set

jeff nist
02-25-2012, 3:07 PM
Finally finished up a salt and pepper mill set for our use at home! LOML has been "suggesting" that I make one for us since all of the ones that I've made have been sold or given as gifts. So here they are...

Salt is Koa with holly 6 ring celtic knots & polka dots, and Pepper is Koa with Brazillian Ebony 6 ring celtic knots & polka dots.

Whatcha think?

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj274/wickford3101/salt_peppermills.jpg

Steve Schlumpf
02-25-2012, 3:17 PM
Nice work Jeff! Looks like quite the matching set!

Dave Lehnert
02-25-2012, 4:00 PM
NICE! Pepper Mill on my long list of things to make.

Also like how you store your lathe tools. I have a new magnet tool bar just like the one in your photo I got up your way a few years ago. Got it at Leman's , Keims Limber, or Hartville Tool. Can't remember which. Going to get it out tonight and mount it.

Jim Burr
02-25-2012, 4:35 PM
They look like little people! Those were a lot of work Jeff...nicely done!

Fred Belknap
02-25-2012, 4:45 PM
Jeff those are very nice, great job on the celtic knots.

Jon McElwain
02-25-2012, 6:11 PM
Let me guess, black for pepper, and white for salt! Those are good looking mills. I do not think I have seen a celtic knot with that many rings before. How did you go about the polka dots? Are they drilled with a brad point or forstner bit? Were the dots turned?

Thanks for sharing!

Robert McGowen
02-25-2012, 7:18 PM
Those Celtic knots look really nice. I am not too sure about the polka dots, but if your wife likes them, then that is what counts.

Harry Robinette
02-25-2012, 9:37 PM
Jeff
I really like these, You did a good job on them. You have come a long ways sense we meant and you started turning.

Bernie Weishapl
02-25-2012, 9:41 PM
Really nice set Jeff. Really cool matching set.

Tom Hardy
02-25-2012, 9:48 PM
Those are great looking mills, and the celtic knots look really nice on them.

Baxter Smith
02-25-2012, 10:15 PM
Great looking set!

Dan Forman
02-26-2012, 3:14 AM
Nice looking set. Design wise, I like the knots, but think the polka dots are overkill - compete for attention with the knots, which is knot a good thing. :)

Dan

John Keeton
02-26-2012, 6:06 AM
A resounding yes on the Celtic knots, a "no" vote on the polka dots. However, overall this is some great work!

jeff nist
02-26-2012, 8:50 AM
Thanks all for the kind comments!! Harry, you have been a large part of my inspiration and continued interest in turning! Our conversations and the classes I attended that you taught have been great for my learning!!! I just wish I had more time to spend in the shop!!!

Interesting comments on the dots too...seems the general consensus on this site and another one is that no one really cares for them. Me, I'm on the fence about them. I think I would have rather done another knot in the cap and left the dots out, but the reason they are there, is because I made a polka dot pen for my wife a few years ago and she LOVED the dots so they ended up in her mills too. Otherwise, no dots! haha! They were kind of a pain to do too. I drilled the holes with a brad point bit and then turned all the plugs for the dots and glued them in. 6 dots in 3 sizes per mill. Plus the 6 dots I did for the "prototype" mill that I did first to make sure the knots would work out correctly. I'll post a pic of that one too, but I haven't taken one yet...Probably won't be doing dots again!!

Jeff