PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good deal?

jason thigpen
02-25-2012, 11:55 AM
I want to start turning but don't think I have the space or need for a full size machine. I just contacted this guy on craigslist who is selling a Jet JML-1014vs lathe for $400. He also had the Jet JML-BE bed extension for $95. He has teh Nova G3 chuck for $125 and three different Crown turning tools for $95. The lathe and tools have been used to turn less than ten pen blanks. The bed extension and chuck haven't been taken out of the box. He said he would sell everything for $600. Is this a fair price?

Curt Fuller
02-25-2012, 12:31 PM
Go look at it first and verify that it's in like new or new condition. And then if that's the case, I think that's a pretty good deal. But even if the asking price is a good deal, it still doesn't hurt to see if he'll take less.

jason thigpen
02-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the input. I think I'm gonna meet him this afternoon and check it out in person.

David E Keller
02-25-2012, 12:54 PM
If it's new or like-new, that's a good price for the lathe. The bed extension seems to run about 10-15% higher than the price he gave based on a quick online search, so you'd save a few bucks there as well. Plus, you'd save on shipping and sales tax, so it sounds like a pretty good deal if you're looking for a small lathe.

Cory Norgart
02-25-2012, 3:07 PM
If it is as described,,,,,,, BUY IT!!!

Brian Kent
02-25-2012, 4:28 PM
Brand new on Amazon today - Lathe $520. Extension $93. Free shipping. If it is brand new condition, looks like a good price for wiping off sawdust.

Richard Allen
02-25-2012, 5:33 PM
The usual used lathe difference is 50%, 75% if the lathe is a very popular lathe. That lathe has been superseded by a 12" model.

The G3 chuck is a small chuck which is worth about $75 used.

The turning tools go for between $35 and $85 depending on the particular tool. The used price would be 1/2 that. Without seeing the tools I would suppose they are the $35 tools which would be a used price of $50

The bed extension is two edged. If you are looking to make longer spindles then the bed extension is good to have, Otherwise it should be thrown in for free. Used it's price should be $50

So lets add it all up $260 + 75 + 50 + 50 = $435 as a package deal would be a fair price. Looks like he is $165 over fair market value or about 1/3 overpriced.

If you planed on buying all of these things and were ready to plunk down cash right now for the items new then $600 would be a good savings. If you are looking to get a lathe but you haven't narrowed down your choices yet then $435 would be a fair price (a price you could look back on without regret. You should be able to resell without a loss.)

Jon McElwain
02-25-2012, 9:52 PM
I want to start turning .............He said he would sell everything for $600. Is this a fair price?

Is it a fair price? Yes. is it a smoking deal? Not really. It does seem to be a good value though, and for $600 you can start turning right away. I like a deal as much as the next guy, but my time has been precious lately, so if you don't want to spend a lot of time looking and looking for deals, then this might be a good way to jump in.

As far as the lathe goes, it has variable speed which is an asset, but I am not sure if it is electronic variable speed or if it requires belt changes. It's slowest speed is 500 rpm's which is about the fastest you want to be spinning something for sanding. This lathe with it's 1/2 hp will not be doing any heavy turning, but if you are only interested in pens, small kit projects, or Christmas ornaments, this lathe should do all of that. You'll stall it out in a heartbeat the first time you try to turn a bowl on it. People recommend the Delta 46-460 due to it's 1 hp motor, electronic variable speed, 12" capacity, and full speed reverse. It would be almost as much as this package you are considering, but it is much more lathe.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with!

jason thigpen
02-26-2012, 12:37 PM
thanks for the help guys. i ended up passing on the lathe. i think the larger delta would be a better deal. i'll just keep my eyes on craigslist for a while longer and see what pops up!