PDA

View Full Version : Doweling Machine/ Boring Machine?

james susick
02-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Hi guys. I got about every major tool I could want in my small shop so I need some advice. I got a lead on a double head horizontal boring machine. The guy called it a doweling machine but anyway he has an extra he bought from an auction. Its a heavy 1970's or so cast iron machine with the foot control to bring in the table to the drilling heads. Not sure of maker cause I wasn't able to look it over. He said he uses his all the time for odd shape parts and entry door construction and wouldn't use anything else. You guys that have one please tell me, will I find this worth having if I get it. I dont know much about them but its a nice machine and only around $200. I don't have a mortise machine so maybe I should just buy it. Any talk about these machines welcome!

frank shic
02-25-2012, 4:01 PM
sounds like it's cheaper than a domino!

james susick
02-25-2012, 11:16 PM
Yep. He is giving it away cheap cause its been in his basement for years. I bought a power feeder & DC off him so he is giving a good price.

Brian Ross
02-25-2012, 11:21 PM
I had a machine, Can't remember the name of it but the model # was EB 100. It was made in the US. I gave it to a friend as I ran out of room but it was a well built machine and $200 would be a steal.

Brian

Brian Ross
02-25-2012, 11:30 PM
Sorry but I found one on Craigslist. It is a Newton B 100
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/tls/2830802127.html

Rick Lizek
02-26-2012, 3:00 AM
Have used the Newton in few shops. Found it to be very inaccurate and needing constant shimming. A horizontal slot mortiser is a better option as you can dowel or use loose tenons.

frank shic
02-26-2012, 9:53 AM
dowels are kind of finicky though

Rick Lizek
02-26-2012, 10:05 AM
dowels are kind of finicky though
I've never had any problems with dowels. The problems were from the Newton borer.

james susick
02-26-2012, 11:39 AM
He said his is always right on but not sure it is the same as the one he's selling me. Just not sure I will find much use of it. What are the mail projuct uses for one? Do the bore heads move close together or are they locked in place?