PDA

View Full Version : A mundane chore pays off

Kathy Marshall
02-25-2012, 4:07 AM
I'm planning on doing a bunch of chainsaw work tomorrow, so the plan for tonight was to sharpen up some chainsaw blades. A few months ago I bought an electric chainsaw blade sharpener when they went on sale at Harbor Freight, and it's been sitting on the bench ever since. I always seem to be in too much of a hurry to read the instructions and use it, so I've just been doing them by hand as needed.
Well tonight I decided to use it. Instructions were pretty straight forward and once it was set up, it was a breeze. I got two chains sharpened before it got dark (it's on a corner of the bench surrounded by other stuff so the shop lights don't help much). So then I started looking at some small blanks sitting outside of the ramp door, next the the sharpener, but none of them called to me. Then for some reason, I looked under the bench, beneath the sharpener and notice some pieces of wood that have been sitting there for over a year. Dug through some of them and discovered this piece of Texas Ebony that was in surprisingly good condition.
I didn't think I had any of it left, especially something that would be useable.
Texas ebony is very hard, but with sharp tools and a light touch will leave a surface like glass, on the downside it will crack if you look at it wrong, or even if you look at it right. This piece was dry, but it turned just the same as when it was green.
I couldn't get it to show up much in the pics, but it's got just a slight bit of curl to it.
The piece of wood wasn't very big and by the time I trimmed it up I just had enough for a small lidded box (and there might be 1 scrap left with some heartwood that might just be big enough for a pen blank.

Nothing special, just a basic little box from some pretty wood that I never thought I'd have the chance to turn again.
It's 2" x 4" with walls just a hair over 1/16" with a light coat of danish oil burnished in. I used my elf decorating tool on the top and bottom with great results, these were the cleanest results I've had (dry, hard wood with very fine grain).
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques welcome.

John Keeton
02-25-2012, 6:17 AM
Lucky find! I see the curl - pretty sweet, and I like the Elf tool treatment. I have considered getting one of those, but just don't know if the type of work I do would justify it.

David E Keller
02-25-2012, 7:26 AM
I like it! I've only turned a little bit of Texas ebony, but it was lovely stuff to work with… I think I've still got a few pen blanks around here somewhere.

Tom Winship
02-25-2012, 8:20 AM
Kathy, I won't even comment on your work! What do I say? Consistently Kathy. Always innovative, beautiful turnings.

The HF CS sharpener works well for me also. Sharpen about 4 or 5 blades and it is paid for.

Doug W Swanson
02-25-2012, 8:35 AM
Nice work! I like the contrasting colors....

Baxter Smith
02-25-2012, 8:37 AM
Beautiful wood and the elf gives it a nice touch!

charlie knighton
02-25-2012, 10:24 AM
very nice..........

Bernie Weishapl
02-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Really nice piece Kathy. Love the wood and the elf tool touch.

Steve Schlumpf
02-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Very nice work Kathy! Sure is some pretty wood and the form does show off the curl! Nice work!

I have a few small pieces of Texas Ebony and the grain in that stuff is amazing!

Jon McElwain
02-25-2012, 5:30 PM
That is a pretty little box Kathy! Love seeing what you whip up late in the evenings!

How well does that HF sharpener work? I've been sharpening by hand, but I am thinking about getting something a little faster. I also see one that connects to the end of the bar and sharpens as you run the saw.

Kathy Marshall
02-26-2012, 2:07 AM
Thanks for the nice comments everyone! It was a nice little surprise to find that piece of wood. Got me wondering what other little treasures I might find if I were to clean up the shop :eek:.

That is a pretty little box Kathy! Love seeing what you whip up late in the evenings!

How well does that HF sharpener work? I've been sharpening by hand, but I am thinking about getting something a little faster. I also see one that connects to the end of the bar and sharpens as you run the saw.
Jon, the HF sharpener works great.

Dan Forman
02-26-2012, 3:03 AM
Nice little box out of some pretty wood.

Dan

Rick Markham
02-26-2012, 4:18 AM
It's a beautiful box! I love the contrast. Very nice detail on the bottom! I also been interested in the elf, however my bases tend to be pretty small on my forms. I can't even sign my work anymore, only initials lol...