PDA

View Full Version : Question on tablesaw top.

Tom Pritchard
03-21-2005, 10:46 PM
I just finished cleaning the 5 lbs. of cosmoline off the top of my new tablesaw using WD-40 as directed. I now want to put a few coats of Johnson's Paste Wax on the table to protect it. The instruction manual says not to use any solvents on the table surface, but I'm hesitant to put the Paste Wax over the WD-40 film. Can anyone give me some hints on what to do next? Thanks in advance for the help!

Jim Becker
03-21-2005, 10:48 PM
Just wipe first with mineral spirits to remove any oily film...and then wax. The paste wax you use should be silicone-free...I believe that S C Johnson wax is, but check the label...they make a number of products.

Corey Hallagan
03-21-2005, 10:52 PM
I put the WD 40 right over the cast iron and wipe it down, then paste wax over it. WD 40 helps in keeping rust away (WD = Water Displacement) and along with the past makes a nice slick top.

Corey

scott spencer
03-22-2005, 4:57 AM
Hi Tom - Glad to hear things are progressing. I'veused the mineral spirits in the past and the top didn't dissolve or anything ;), so I think you'll be ok. I do like to use T-9 rust preventer prior to waxing, but you probably won't have as much of a rust problem in the basement.

Brent Smith
03-22-2005, 6:53 AM
Hi Tom,
I'm a firm believer in Top Coat.Where I live we get wild fluctuations in temperature and humidity levels,but using Top Coat, I've had no problems with rust.I clean the table well with mineral spirits,let it dry for a 1/2 hour,then spray about 3 times what the label says.I let that dry for about 15 minutes then buff it out with paper shop towels(don't forget the miter tracks).I do this every 4 months(probably more often than needed)and don't have a speck of rust on any of my machines.By the way ,my tools are in the garage where, besides a de-humidifier, I don't have much control over the elements.As an added bonus,the Top Coat gives me a very slick surface to work on.
Brent