PDA

View Full Version : Question for those of you who own/use a RAS

Greg Urwiller
02-24-2012, 8:33 PM
Bought a Dewalt MBF for $75 last year. I don't know about doing a complete restoration, but figured on fixing it up (doesn't need much!), and find a place for it in the shop. Haven't really done much, kinda been on the back burner. So, now I find a Dewalt GP for sale for $150. The motor's been rewound, been sitting since. The owner hasn't tried it, doesn't even have 220 in his garage to try it. He bought it from his boss, didn't think the saw has ever been turned on since the rewind. Should I go for "more power"? The MBF is 3/4hp/8 1/2" and the GP is 2hp/12". I was more than content with the MBF.....until I saw this one. Of course I haven't "seen" it yet, plan on looking at it tomorrow (if it's still available). If it's gone, I'll be relieved....maybe. Just wondering if it's too big? I know, that's just silly! But still. Worth it? Thanks. Greg

Cary Falk
02-24-2012, 8:43 PM
I think the GP has a 1" arbor. Other than that It sounds like a deal if it works and all of the pieces are there. I traded up from a MBF to a GWI(1.5hp)

Gary Stamper
02-24-2012, 8:55 PM
Hi Greg,
It would depend on what you cut the most in your shop. If you never cut anything bigger than a pine 2 x 4 you'll be ok with the smaller machine. But if you cut a lot of hardwood you'll be glad for the extra HP. Also it will have a longer stroke so you will be able to cut wider pieces with it. I use my DeWalt RAS all the time.

Gary

Neil Brooks
02-24-2012, 9:09 PM
Is the GP a three phase ?

That could make a big difference....

Mark Ashmeade
02-24-2012, 10:46 PM
A(nother) proper cast iron RAS for only $150? I wouldn't have wasted the time writing this thread. It'd be in my truck already!

david brum
02-25-2012, 12:51 AM
Those saws are going to look great next to each other in your shop!

Rick Potter
02-25-2012, 4:26 AM
Is there a question here? By now, I assume you have it home.

Rick Potter

Richard Shaefer
02-25-2012, 10:16 AM
RAS is the best tool in my shop for cross grain dado work. you want as much power as possible for that kind of work.

Alan Muller
02-25-2012, 1:01 PM
I've had several small radial arm saws. For me the main limitation has been the crosscut capability--the length of it, that is. How do those dimensions compare for the GP and the one you have? Depth of cut may or may not be an issue for you. It's useful to be able to cut a 4 x 4 or a piece of 3" pvc in one cut. A cheap miter saw can usually do that but many small RASs, even 10" ones, can't. A three phase saw and a good VFD--$100 or so--are really nice. You can set the speed, the braking and so on to your purposes. I think that makes for greater safety as well as not-dimming-the-lights.

Mark Ashmeade
02-25-2012, 2:13 PM
... For me the main limitation has been the crosscut capability--the length of it, that is...

Ah! I have the solution for that. Buy a bigger one :)

Greg Urwiller
02-26-2012, 12:18 AM
I honestly have no interest what so ever in 3 phase, yea I drool over some of the old arn, but that's it. Anyway, I must be the only one who's called on the RAS. The owner wanted me to wait till tomorrow morning to look at it. Been listed since Tuesday, must not be any other interest. But I have another question....is the 1" arbor any problem? Is a standard 12" blade going to have a 1" hole? I'm not familiar with anything this size. As far as that goes, what about dado sets? Thanks. Greg

Timothy Wolf
02-26-2012, 12:58 AM
1 inch arbors are pretty much standard for 12" blades the dado will cost significantly more than a ten inch.

Cary Falk
02-26-2012, 1:02 PM
If it is 3 phase and nobody has in interest in it then try to get it a little lower and put a VFD on it. I put one on a power feeder last year and it was super easy. I would do it again if I had to.

Myk Rian
02-26-2012, 2:02 PM
I don't get it. Why on earth would someone want to put a VFD on any kind of circular saw, (Table, RAS, miter, etc) then want to control the RPMs?
I want that blade going at speed. Doesn't make a lick of sense to me. I can understand the braking part of it, but adjusting the rpm? Nope.

Neil Brooks
02-26-2012, 3:14 PM
I don't get it. Why on earth would someone want to put a VFD on any kind of circular saw, (Table, RAS, miter, etc) then want to control the RPMs?
I want that blade going at speed. Doesn't make a lick of sense to me. I can understand the braking part of it, but adjusting the rpm? Nope.

I used to run my TS at 3450 rpm, but ... now that I run it at 3425 ... life is infinitely better.

;)

Greg Urwiller
02-26-2012, 3:29 PM
Well, I ended up buying the thing for $100. No power cord on it, so couldn't hear it run. If it doesn't run, or if there's any other problems show up, then I get my money back. It was only 10 minutes away so no big deal. Got to hook up a cord and give it a try. It's a single phase, 110/220, 22/11A 2hp motor. This thing's a real brute, have to find a place for it and leave it set. Greg