View Full Version : Curly Woods B/E Maple Pics

Scott Coffelt
03-21-2005, 10:06 PM
Attached are a couple of pics of my haul from Mike's. I would say that about 50% is FAS and 50% is 1FAS. I'll be using for kitchen cabinets. Overall the figure is pretty solid through out.

Never seems like as much wood as the total bdft. About 190 here.

Jim Becker
03-21-2005, 10:46 PM
Yum!! I can't wait to see the project that is lurking in them there boards, Scott... ;)

Steve Roxberg
03-21-2005, 10:57 PM
They look really nice, I'll have to stop by and see them and your Festool saw in person. :)

lou sansone
03-22-2005, 6:38 AM
good haul..

I am a firm believer in buying wood that you don't need. The idea is that you can then shop around for a good deal and pay a fair price.

Kitchen out of bird's eye ( my monitor makes it look like birds eye, but maybe it is curly ) ? And I thought that my future laundry room out of tiger was strange. go for it

lou

Mike Mastin
03-22-2005, 7:51 AM
Scott,

We buy our Birdseye maple from a veneer mill in Wisconsin most of the time. They sell it to us as No. 1 Common or better grade. We are almost always pleased with the figure and lumber quality that we have received from them.
I am happy that you are happy :D

Kelly C. Hanna
03-22-2005, 8:12 AM
I wish I'd known you were going to be there Scott...besdies Chip and Mike I knew no one....course considering most of the people there were from Woodnet that might not have been a bad thing.... :eek: :D

Very nice haul btw...can't wait to see the cabinets!!

Scott Coffelt
03-22-2005, 10:08 AM
Steve R.

When you gonna get off the couch and just order the saw?

Sure, stop by if you want this weekend. I can give you my address via PM if interested.

Kelly,

I wanted to wait and come down on for the Saturday sale, but since I needed to make sure I got enough wood for my project and wanted time to really go through the stacks, I choose to go early.

Lou,

Yeah I know seems kind of wild, but I wanted something that not everyone has. It will be a modern kitchen, so I thing the B/E will look nice. I plan on having the cooktop island out of something else, like cherry or Jatoba. The counters will all be black silestone or granite. The back splashes will be chrome tiles with fused glass accent tiles that I am making in my glass kiln. I hope it turns out as good as the images in my head. As for pics, it will be quite some time as I am still awaiting the ground breaking.

I think in all, I have about 50 cabinets to construct. I'll start on the first one within a few weeks. I'll make all the cabinets that I know will not change based on the typical construction screw-ups. Then once I have framing I can double check my measurements and finish up. I will definitely be providing progress pics along the way.

Steve Jenkins
03-22-2005, 10:44 AM
Scott,next time why not plan on spending the night. I'm sure we could put you up somehwere. Or anyone else that's traveling a good bit to get here.

Jim Becker
03-22-2005, 10:56 AM
The counters will all be black silestone or granite.
If you would enjoy a softer look, consider soapstone. It also doesn't stain nor needs to be sealed like granite. The silestone is nice; I like it about the best of the "manufactured" products. We would have considered it for our kitchen, except the black only came in glossy...not what we wanted. Honed black granite had a great look, but would have been a maintenance headache over time.

I think your idea for using the BE Maple is a nice idea for the kitchen. If you peg the rail/stile joints with the same species as your cooking island, you'll pull them both together through that little hint of color! 'Can't wait to see this project develop, Scott.

Scott Coffelt
03-22-2005, 12:37 PM
Jim,

Thanks for the input. I was thinking about have the doors and drawer fronts of the cooktop island B/E. We are really leaning towards the Silestone, I like the one with the sparkly flakes, but we have time to debate that.

Here is a crude drawing of one bank of cabinets.

Jim Becker
03-22-2005, 1:23 PM
Nice!! I really like the glass panels "up top"...they lift the whole design up. to another level. I see you are also going for the "furiture/Euro" look with the SS legs. I really like that, too, although I couldn't do that in our kitchen as it would have been out of sync with the nature of our house.