PDA

View Full Version : Wood and tools auction...

Primvs Aebvtivs
02-24-2012, 3:31 PM
I kow most readers will be in the States, but how much do you guys expect to pay per cubic foot of the following:-

Sapele;
Iroko;
Idigbo;
Ebony;
Yew;
Elm;
African Mahogany;
Walnut;
Tulipwood;
Rosewood;
Cedar;
Cherry;
Oak... to name a few

Just wondering because I'm off to an auction tomorrow, and it's my first, I have a budget of a hundred pounds, and don't want to bid too much on the first lots, only to miss out on some really nice stuff later! There will be tools for sale after the wood, including:-

4 x lathes, different makes / models (a CLarke, and a Record that I know of);
Carpenters boxes AND TOOLS!;
Carving tools (70 in a box);
OLD hand planes;
Woodwork vices (at least a dozen);
Routers;
Drills and bits;
Band saws;
Handsaws etc...

Interested in a 9" cast iron planer (think they mean planer thicknesser (I hope!)).

I may come back with a lot of junk, and an empty wallet - first auction I'm bidding at...

Steve Vaughan
02-24-2012, 4:44 PM
You ask about price per cubic foot, I'm wondering if you mean board foot. A cubic foot would be the price per board foot times 12 which would be astronomical. Over here, the price per bf can vary so much due to geographic location and supplier it would be hard to give you a price. I'd suggest that you might check a few suppliers online as well as local to you and see what those figures are, that might give you a good ball park. Sounds like a great auction and I sure wish I could go to one like that! Especially to see those carving tools! Good luck!

Primvs Aebvtivs
02-28-2012, 3:15 PM
Thanks Steve, sorry I've not been back - been busy with t he lathe for a change... Works better now it's higher.

I thought I'd got the question wrong, but wasn't near a computer to change it! I managed to get quite a lot of wood for very little money in the end. I paid most for a box of 18 blanks, £16.00. Oak, Ash and Elm, some turned round, some cubes.
£4.00 for about 12 pieces taking up 5' x 3' x 2' on a table, £4.00 for some Iroko, same for Idigbo, same for Sapele. Bigger than planks, about 2 - 3" square, and up to 4' long. Enough to try, and see if the Iroko makes me wheeze...

The hand carving tools looked in very good condition, starting price, by commision, was !100.00 - bidders in the audience took it up to £340.00!!! VERY well made cabinet, drawers all tidy, no jamming, each tool in a separate compartment... Well worth it, but out of my budget of £150.00 including tax. I spent £8.00 on a new mitre saw, because the fence on my old one (same model) broke - bought one to swap fences over, but the blade's new, and it works, so I'll use that instead! BARGAIN!

I had to unload quite a bit of wood at my mum's to get in the disassembled wardrobes my wife wanted back here, so over the next few trips down there I shall pick them up - gives them chance to season a bit more! I have about 12 pieces stacked under sheeting, in the shade, and off the ground, so they should do well. Mostly Oak and Ash, I believe, where the major cube has been cut out of a tree, so I have the "caps", round the edges. I hope to turn some of the stuff iI brought back, and see if it was money well spent.

I met someone there who said they had an auction 3 weeks previously, where there was ten times as much wood, and it was ALL green, and cheaper too... I did see one lot for sale, 2 pieces of Rosewood, 3' long x 2 1/2" square with a strip of Ebony 1' x 1" x 1/4" - they went for £125.00... YIKES! But there again, it was lovely Rosewood!

When I came home, and unloaded the car, the wife said "Maybe it's time to start making things again"... (the week before, she'd said I spend too much time in the workshop - go
figure!).