PDA

View Full Version : Lumber Wizard 4 Laser Line - How deep can it detect metal?

Brian Tymchak
02-24-2012, 10:44 AM
Just opened up my latest Woodcraft sales ad and they have a Lumber Wizard 4 Laser Line on sale. A metal detector has been one of those things on my list as I want to start working more with rough lumber. However, the ads in the Woodcraft circular and on Amazon, even Wizard Industries itself do not indicate how deep this detector will detect metal. Googling around though, I found a mention on CabinetMaker FDM that it will detect metal up to 4" deep.

Anyone have this particular unit and have any practical experience on how deep it will detect?

Thanks, Brian

Ryan Baker
02-24-2012, 9:52 PM
There are some videos and specs on their web site where they indicate it will detect to something like 6". The demos seem to do that through 6" of air though, not wood. I have one of those. I haven't used or tested it a lot yet. I can't say that I am very impressed with it yet. It is better than the smaller units. Detecting nails in known positions in 3/4" hardwood flooring was hit or miss. Of course, it depends a lot of the mass of metal and the type of material it is in. I think the claim is to detect to the center of a 6" piece of wood, assuming you check from both sides. That means 3" depth. It probably can do that most of the time if you aren't moving too fast.

Brian Tymchak
02-27-2012, 1:16 PM
Ryan, really appreciate the feedback.

... Detecting nails in known positions in 3/4" hardwood flooring was hit or miss.

That doesn't sound promising and I'm glad I asked instead of just doing the impulse buy. Since this is a don't-need-it-right-now thing for me, I think I'll let the sale slide by and do my due diligence properly when I have more time.

Thanks! Brian