PDA

View Full Version : My First Segmented Piece

Tom Winship
02-23-2012, 8:11 PM
Still being fairly new to turning, having turned my first bowl last summer, I decided to do a segmented bowl. Actually, my new friend and creeker Robert McGowen kind of goaded me into it. I read Tibbet's book and had lots of questions as to whether I could do it.

Yesterday, I built a disc sander using a 6" faceplate and 10" plywood circle. Robert had sent me a plan for a potpourri bowl, so I thought I would just cut the segments on my Dewalt SCMS rather than build a sled. So I cut the first ring, glued with a spacer like Mr. Tibbets does, then used my Rigid oscillating belt sander to flatten the ends and then glued the halves together, flattened on the disc sander, then glued to a glue block. Turned to profile. Repeated this for all five rings, and finished today.

I learned that my drill press is a better clamp (vertical) than the lathe tailstock, if you want to keep it centered. Also, I learned don't forget to stagger the segments so the glue lines between the segments center in the next ring.

This is the largest ID I have ever had to "reach around the corner" with my bowl gouge to cut and it was actually fun.

Anyway, for my first one I am well pleased, and assure you it won't be my last. I did change the design a little to make it look like a Native American shape.

Thanks for your help, Robert.

Criticism welcome.

James Combs
02-23-2012, 8:19 PM
Tom this is a great looking HF. I would never have thought it was a first if you had not mentioned. Looks like you have been doing these forever.

Dennis Ford
02-23-2012, 8:21 PM
Good job. If I understand correctly, you put all the rings together and then cut the inside with a bowl gouge. I don't do segmenting but would have had to use a hollowing tool to reach around that corner. Anyway, the bowl looks nice.

Roger Chandler
02-23-2012, 8:36 PM
Nice work for a first one Tom.........I have yet to try one............hope to do so at some point. Your glue joints will get better as you go along, and that is a very nice shape you put on it!

Allan Ferguson
02-23-2012, 8:45 PM
That was a really nice job. Like it, like it.

Tom Winship
02-23-2012, 8:48 PM
If I understand correctly, you put all the rings together and then cut the inside with a bowl gouge. I don't do segmenting but would have had to use a hollowing tool to reach around that corner.

Thanks, Dennis. Actually I cut the inside one ring at a time, however, as you get to the top, the id of each ring gets smaller, so I had to blend the id back to the previous ring id. I have never used a hollowing tool, but wished I had one todya.

Bernie Weishapl
02-23-2012, 9:00 PM
Tom that is a nice piece. Well done.

Jay Rasmussen
02-23-2012, 9:15 PM
Good work Tom, I like your photo's also.

Robert McGowen
02-23-2012, 9:48 PM
Actually, my new friend and creeker Robert McGowen kind of goaded me into it.

I am sure that this is some sort of code for "Hey wife, I just have to get a 12" disc sander now."

Nice job, Tom. Looks like you learned a lot. It gets easier for sure. In the fast glue drying heat of a Texas summer, you will have this bowl done in less than 3 hours from start to finish!

Baxter Smith
02-23-2012, 10:40 PM
Nice work Tom!Sure doesn't look like a first. At least not one I might do!

Ken Glass
02-23-2012, 10:50 PM
Tom,
You would never know it was your first Segmented piece. Good alignment and the joints look great too. I always like the way Mesquite looks. Well Done.

Malcolm Tibbetts
02-23-2012, 11:45 PM
Tom, welcome to the "dark" side. You've all ready identified the areas to improve. Good luck as you pursue segmenting. Be careful; it can be even more addictive than "chunk" wood turning. :)

John Keeton
02-24-2012, 6:24 AM
Tom, I don't do segmenting, and notice most folks seem to get all caught up in the segmentation and forget form. But, I actually like what you did here with this piece - very interesting form and great work on the glue up!

And, getting one of the (if not THE) great "Masters of Segmentation" posting on your thread is HUGE!:)! You should print this thread and frame it in your shop!

Doug W Swanson
02-24-2012, 8:14 AM
Pretty impressive for your first!

Tom Winship
02-24-2012, 8:17 AM
John, especially when his was right before yours. I am humbled.
Thanks to all, and especially to you Malcolm. Maybe I develop just a "smidge" of your ability over the remaining years.

Mike Tilley
02-24-2012, 9:06 PM
Nice job Tom nice looking bowl keep it up segmenting is very addictive as well as rewarding

Jim Burr
02-24-2012, 9:19 PM
You are my hero this week Tom!! If could trouble you for a question...how big is it? Joints look cool & clean, the finish is spot on!

Bill Wyko
02-25-2012, 10:08 AM
Well Tom, welcome to our little corner of the vortex. I hate to tell you this but there's no escape. Something tells me it won't be your last segmentation. Nice job.

Dan Hines
02-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Tom, you have definately motivated me to give segmenting a try. I am especially motivated in that the equipment you used fits what I have in my shop.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan Hines

Tom Winship
02-25-2012, 11:55 AM
[QUOTE=Jim Burr;1881452] If could trouble you for a question...how big is it? QUOTE]

Jim it is 6" in diameter and 3" high. The opening in the bowl is about 3 1/4" Finish is sanded to 600 and buffed with beeswax.

Peter Fabricius
02-25-2012, 3:27 PM
Nicely done Tom;
I am surprised that you did not do this in two halves so you would not have to hollow around corners. If you build up both the bottom and the top simultaneously and then join them when hollowed, shaped and mostly sanded. You then only have a slight amount of sanding inside where the joint is and you can do that with a dowel wrapped with a small chunk of carpet and then the sandpaper taped to that.
Just a thought.
Peter F.

Steve Schlumpf
02-25-2012, 5:17 PM
Tom - you done good! Judging by the joinery, it looks like Robert has rubbed off on you some! Very nice and clean joints! Like John posted, this piece has a great form to it! Looking forward to seeing what you create next!