PDA

View Full Version : Thin kerf table saw splitter

Mike Cruz
02-23-2012, 7:29 PM
So, with some recent discussion on splitter and safety, I got to thinking that maybe I really ought to put my splitter on my Unisaw. Then it hit me why I haven't...I use a thin kerf blade and the splitter is for full kerf blades. I did some research and came up empty handed. So, I called Delta today, and there is a good reason I came up empty handed...they don't make a thin kerf splitter for the Unisaw.

I got to thinking (yeah, dangerous)...what if I (or someone else) ground down my splitter to be thinner to work with a thin kerf blade? Hmmmm, easy enough, but would that make the splitter too thin (structurally), therefore negating its purpose?

Yeah, I know, I could just get a full kerf blade and not alter an OEM part. But that isn't the point. The point is whether or not making the factory splitter thinner would either make it structurally unsound/simply not strong enough, or whether it would be perfectly okay...

joe milana
02-23-2012, 7:36 PM
I made one for mine years ago. I got a piece of scrap sheet steel & cut one out with a metal cutting bandsaw. A few minutes with bench grinder & a wire wheel to round the corners & make it look nice & I was good to go.

Stephen Cherry
02-23-2012, 7:45 PM
time for a euroslider.

Mike Cruz
02-23-2012, 7:48 PM
Steve, I love ya, man, I really do...but that wasn't the point, nor was it the question. I'm not asking if there is a better saw, I'm asking if grinding down the existing splitter will compromise it in any way.

Stephen Cherry
02-23-2012, 7:53 PM
That's another wristslapping.

Maybe mcmaster sells ground plate the right thickness that could be cut out.

Mike Cruz
02-23-2012, 8:10 PM
UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, guys....focus....I do appreciate what the alternatives are, but I'm asking about THIS splitter and if IT can be ground.

scott spencer
02-23-2012, 8:47 PM
There sure are alot of thin kerf splitters on the market, so I don't imagine that strength is an issue if it's well designed. You could always try one of the Microjig TK splitters for ~ $20.

Alan Schwabacher
02-23-2012, 9:20 PM
If you are able to grind it smoothly to the right dimensions, it should still be plenty strong and work well. But grinding it sounds like an absurd amount of effort to get a simple thin piece of metal a little thinner. Making a splitter from thinner stock is easy and cheap.

Van Huskey
02-23-2012, 9:55 PM
No problem, will still be plenty strong enough.

But, I agree starting with the correct thickness stock will probably be much easier in the long run.

Carl Knapp
02-23-2012, 10:39 PM
Check out one of our machine catalogs on line. Felder sells a 2.0, 2.4, 2.6 and 2.8 mm one. the 2.6 isn't listed.

Mike Cruz
02-23-2012, 10:59 PM
Thanks, Alan and Van.

The reason I would like to grind this one down is because on the Unisaw (or at least on my model), the splitter is has a quick disconnect. Not sure how easy it would be to make one that would fit the quick disconnect. I don't have any metal working tools. So, cutting one out would be less than fun.

Carl, will the Felder ones fit my Uni?

mickey cassiba
02-24-2012, 7:20 AM
Mike....do you have a belt sander(I bet you do)? I've got an old Delta contractor saw, with a Bies snap in splitter. When I went to thin kerf blades, I disassembled the splitter, and placed it on some anti skid padding(The old router/sanding pads they used to sell). With 36G metal cutting belts, and calipers in hand I proceeded to thin my splitter. all except for the portion that attaches to the snap in. I't worked fine for more than 3 years now. Take light passes and measure frequently. Once you take it off, you can't put it back on. Belts were 8 bucks at the borg.

Jerome Hanby
02-24-2012, 8:13 AM
If you make a ZCI for the saw, Micro Jig has thin kerf versions of their splitter that you can add to the insert. I think you can swap back and forth between standard and thin kerf...

Mike Cruz
02-24-2012, 8:18 AM
Mickey, that is what I was thinking of. Just wasn't sure if it was a "GOOD GOD, MAN...DON'T DO THAT!" procedure. Thanks for the input (sharing your experience).

Tom Wassack
02-24-2012, 8:23 AM
Greetings from NC!
May I suggest you contact Lee Styron, maker of the SharkGuard about a TK splitter. He has listed on his website, splitters for Unisaws (without having to purchase a SharkGuard), and you get to choose the thickness.

Regards,
Tom Wassack
Asheboro, NC

Matt Schroeder
02-24-2012, 8:52 AM
Mike,

This thought probably already crossed your mind, but just in case...make sure you know which side the splitter references to relative to where the blade references. You don't want to take the material off one side of the splitter and find out it really had to come off the other side to keep it in line with the TK blade.

Matt

Mike Cruz
02-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Matt, that is so funny. Yes, I thought about it, but you know I would flip it around and grind away the wrong side, don't you? You'll hear me screaming all the way from the docks! :D Thanks for the tip, none the less...

Mike Cruz
02-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Thanks, Tom, I'll look into that...might be a smart move...